Did my watchman die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got a watchman goby tiger pistol shrimp pair on Tuesday and they were out and about the first and second day. Today and yesterday they haven't come out though a crack in the rock I can see with a flashlight my tiger pistol moving around but I can't see the watchman. Could he of died inside and burrow?

any ideas on what i should do? should i just let it be and see if he shows up or should I try and dig out the sand around the rock a bit?

If you don't have to rip the tank apart I would move the rock a bit and see if he's under there. If theres too much rock around the spot you think he is, then I would let it ride and see if he comes out. No need to tear a tank apart to find a fish.

Good luck, I hope he is ok. :)

I'm really funny about losing track of my fish because of that exact thing. If one of my fish goes missing for more than a day, I dont mind digging a little bit, or putting a hose or something into a crack in wherever theyre hiding to cause a bit of a disturbance. More often than not when they vanish, they're just in a random hiding mode and will pop out, but of course if it's worse case scenario I always feel better off having the dead guy out of the tank rather than in it.

Could be however that the goby died and the shrimp dragged it into hiding to dispose of it (eat it). I doubt the pistol would have been the cause of death... but I'm pretty sure all shrimp are fairly opportunistic feeders, and a pistol isnt opposed to doing a little bit of hard work.

yeah thats what im wording may of happened, I just dont under stand why he would even die...im going to give it a bit more time, even if he did die the shrimp will take care of him. I dug out the hole and the pistol covered it up so again so that it has no door.

Back
Top Bottom