Did this guy eat my Horseshoe Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have rescued my Horseshoe crab about 4 times from the clutches of this LTA......Once he actually was in the proccess of taking into his mouth. The last time I saw the crab was 2 days ago. I searched the substrate for him thinking he might just be buried, but I couldn't stir him up. He is gone.

This LTA is about 4-5 inches at the disk and spread out he will get a good 10 inches. The crab was just smaller than golfball size. Is it possible?

Here is a picture of the LTA up close and one of him perched in his spot. He is in a 125 gal tank.

whats an lta that looks *Exactly* like mine

and i may be wrong but on mine when i feed it the tentacles get a little skinnier like yours so maybe he did just eat....

Mr. Marine

Not to get into the whole "horseshoe crabs aren't good in aquaria" disscussion because I can only convey what I read and have no firsthand knowledge with them(probably because I read alot). One visit to the aquarium in Cincinatti to see how big they get and I saw proof. Large shoe crabs will quickly die in aquariums because they starve as they are big eaters and there is only so much fauna in your tank. -enough on that-

That sounds pretty big horseshoe and while condylactus (which is what it looks like to me) packs a powerful sting and will nail almost anything, I kinda doubt he ate it. But who knows? anything is possible. *shrugs*

If the LFS labeled that anemone as a LTA (Long tentacle anemone for mrmarine) I would be very dissapointed as I am sure they overcharged you.

R

Thanks for the correction on the species. They did "call" it an LTA, but I think it cost me about 20 bucks if I remember correctly. I did look it up in the book this morning and it fits the picture and the description of condylactis.

The problem is this: I have completely searched the substrate for a "dead" body and cannot come up with anything. Although I found some other little creatures there that I didn't know I had..LOL

I have started to monitor the Ammonia levels in the tank as of yesterday, and will continue to do it on a daily basis for the next couple of weeks just to see if there is any rotting going on from him being dead somewhere in the tank.

Anyway thanks alot for the information. I have 2 of these guys. Now after hearing they will go after just about anything, I am wondering if I should even keep them? They don't move around hardly at all. Actually the one pictured hasn't moved but once since I got him. The other can't seem to find just the right place. He is staying in same area just moves every other week about an inch or 2.

Mike

What kind of lighting do you have? The anemoens are fairly hardy, but the horseshoe crabs really are no good, and shouldn't be purchased.

20$$ wow i got mine for $8.99 along with my Rose bubble tipped anenome for only $20!

Sparky said:
Thanks for the correction on the species. They did "call" it an LTA, but I think it cost me about 20 bucks if I remember correctly. I did look it up in the book this morning and it fits the picture and the description of condylactis.

They sell Condy's for 5 dollars at my LFS, and their the same size, if not a little bigger than yours..

Sparky Wrote:

"Anyway thanks alot for the information. I have 2 of these guys. Now after hearing they will go after just about anything, I am wondering if I should even keep them? They don't move around hardly at all. Actually the one pictured hasn't moved but once since I got him. The other can't seem to find just the right place. He is staying in same area just moves every other week about an inch or 2. "

This is typical behavior for Condys. They are not overly agressive though and I doubt they are responsible for the missing crab. I have 5 in my 75g FOWLR. I would caution you though if you are planning on live corals their stinging can be harmful. As long as you direct feed them 1-2 times a week you should have no problem.

As far as lighting condys do not require as intense lighting as other anenome.

Price wise though you should not be paying more than $5-10/each. It sounds like your LFS mislabled and overcharged you.

Good luck,

Aaron

Price wise though you should not be paying more than $5-10/each. It sounds like your LFS mislabled and overcharged you.
They sell Condy's for 5 dollars at my LFS, and their the same size, if not a little bigger than yours..

I feel violated......taken advantage of, again...LOL

Oh well, live and learn.

What kind of lighting do you have?

Presently I have (2) 175 W MH Hamilton bulbs 20,000K
2 4 ft 50/50 Lights
2 4 ft 03 Actinic Lights

Mike

Light sounds good, if you would like some clown to host them clarkiis will host them. Yet again make sure you get clarkiis, and not sebae clowns. Good luck

Tomato clowns will host! Mine won't leave it.

I have a horseshoe crab also,(ya I know)

My horse shoe crab was not seen for 5 days in a row. I moved all the lr (because I didnt like it) and I still didnt see him. He showed up the other day for about 30min, and he's gone again. Next time he comes out he's going back to the lfs.

Good Luck! I dont think he's dead though. Wait, he'll show up. :wink:

Sure enough....he showed up! Must have taken a vacation..LOL

When he comes back out he is going into the QT and then to the LFS. Thanks for all of the info...specifically about the anenome.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom