Didn't use RO water to fill tank... now algae, any options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
I didn't use RO water to fill the tank and now it has brown algae breakouts once awhile, which can be easily cleaned off with the scraper but wuld be easier if it grew less.It shows up on the walls and on the substrate(cc) Do I have any options now to remove it besides:
A) Emptying all the water.
B) Using snails, ( I dont think the snails would be able to keep up with it)

Thanks,
Joe

I had the same problem when I first set up my tank. I just dumped in some hermit crabs, and they took care of the brown algae in about 3 weeks.

If you start using RO water, the snails will eventually catch up with the algae.

You could try a silicate removing media, the diatoms are fueled by silicates, remove them and the diatoms will crash. FWIW, if your starting the tank over or cycling, diatoms are natural, they will eventually crash once they have burned up the silicates, and then continue at a lass accelerated pace. Snails should be able to keep up with them to an extent. I have to remove the diatoms from my glass, once or twice per week, takes like 5 seconds with the algae magnet, but there are never any on my LR or sand.

can you point me towards a silicate removing media somewhere online, or give me a product name, maybe ill give it a try.
Thanx!

reefrunner69 said:
I've never used one, but it seems that Kent's PO4 sponge also claims to remove silicates
It does work well but you need to get twice as much as you thought you needed. Treat with the recommendd amount for two days and then swap out for new and add for two additional days. The first lot removes the PO4 and the secound round removes the silicates. How well it works will usually depend on the levels of PO4 but I found it helps alot, especially if feeding dried foods.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom