Diet variety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milhous3er

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was wondering if some of you can help. I have a small 1 1/2 inch gold stripped maroon in my tank. I currently have about 5 types of food for a variety diet.

Formula 1 and formula 2 frozen
Sallys brine shrimp (frozen blue flat sheet)
Ocean nutrition brine shrimp + flakes
Ocean nutrition pellets

here has been my feeding schedule (once a day, in the morning when I turn on the lights)

Monday- Formula 1 (meaty blend of good stuff)
Tuesday- Formula 1 and formula 2 (veggy based)(only real small portions)
Wednesday- Formula 1 (meaty)
Thursday- Formula 1 and 2
Friday- Pellets

I picked up the sallys and the flakes today (friday) on my day to work. In your expert opinions, how should I feed this guy ??

I only feed a small, minute portion enough so that there is some on the ground for my pepps.

The age old rule of thumb is feed no more then your fish can eat in 2 minutes. Sounds like he is a lucky clownfish though. My fish used to get whatever i felt like defrosting that day...or every other day.
Just keep your eye on the levels and make sure your tank can keep up with the extra deteriorating food and you'll be fine, and he'll get fat :D

yeah I appreciate it. you should see how much I used to feed my guys in my old JBJ nano (12 gallons). what I used to feed in a day is what I feed a week now !!

I usually net out the extra food that nobody is interested in, except for the formula 2 (veggy) I let my snails/hermits take care of that.

Sounds like a good practice. I used to have to do the same thing with my seahorse tank, they are messy eaters and you can't have much of a CUC or flow in the tank to clean up the extra.

Fish (and all animals) love longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Change your feeding schedule to once every 2 - 3 days. You'll be glad you did.

So I can keep the schedule that i'm on, just space it out every 2 days ?? My main question was how everyone feeds theirs. Should I feed a very small portion of all 3 frozen (every other day) or one specific brand per day ??

Back
Top Bottom