Diff between a Condy and an LTA....Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
A couple of weeks ago while I was work I sent my wife to the LFS to get more food for the tank. I come home the next day (I work 24hr shifts) and there is another anemone in the tank. I already had an H. Crispa anemone that was forced onto me by a moving neighbor. She didn't acclimate this new anemone except for floating the bag for 15 mins or so.
Anyway, I get home, she's already left for work and there they are....the new anemone is sitting about 4in from the Crispa. I think to myself "This is going to turn out bad." I call her at work to see where she got it...."Oh, me and my mother went to Louisville (50mi away) and stopped by this little pet shop and the had that in a 5gal tank...I thought it was pretty."
In the time span of this phone conversation the new anem. has moved ON TOP OF THE Crispa. I quickly remove the lights and eggcrate and start dismantling the LR to get to them. I finally get them and the Crispa is attached to one piece of LR (been there 3 mo) and the new anem. is attached to another LR. So, I can't get either one off their respective rock without hurting them. I do the only thing I could think of...I flip the LR with Crispa around so he's on the other side away from the new anemone.
The Crispa was always a brownish color with purple tips. Well, where the new anem. touched him was bleached to white. He's almost back to his normal color now and he's pretty much stayed put other than making some adjustments backing up under the rock a little. The new anem. decided that the bottom of the tank is not a good place and moved up, up, up to the highest piece of LR in the tank and has stayed there since.

My wife couldn't remember what she was told this new anemone is sooo we finally get to my question. What is the difference between a Condy and an LTA....in the photos they both look very similar but have diff. care requirments. This new guy has white tenticles with purple tips with the same taper from tip to bottom....it's body is a red color. I can't get a pick because my camera just will not take closeups of the tank. I need to hopefully discern what it is so I can decide to keep it or not. TIA.

It's a condy over LTA. LTAs bury their foot in the sand, and wouldn't be crawling up rocks. Assuming it's a condy I would get rid of it. They move a lot and, this can cause a lot of problems for your other anemone/any corals you have. Good luck

i second six-line (he knows his anemones!), trash it- i had quite a few things killed by my roving condy!

If it's found a spot it likes and is staying put then why not wait and see how it goes?

If it's found a spot it likes and is staying put then why not wait and see how it goes?

The problem is just when you think they have setled they usually will move. I would trade it to a LFS.

I think I'll go with the majority here and start looking at my LFS's for a nice "pretty" coral to trade in for. It was just tooo close of a call to keep him. It is nice watching those tenticles waving in the current up there but not at the expense of a $40+ coral or anemone. I've got a big Flowerpot (impluse buy) I'm gonna trade in too. I need more corals....I've got entirely tooo many mushrooms and hardly anything else.

Back
Top Bottom