Difference b/w Sun Coral & Yellow Polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That and yellow polyps are a soft polyp coral where as the sun coral is a large polyp stoney coral.

I have sun polyps that I have to target feed a couple times a week. Check my gallery for pictures of them. Have a good day

Those are some nice polyps, Does it get annoying to have to target feed all the time? From what i understand, i should not have to feed my corals (zoos, yellow polyps, and star polyps.)

sun polyps take a dedicated person in order to thrive. Each polyp has to be fed. Your right on not having to feed the zoos as long as you have adiquit lighting and do regular water changes. The yellow polyps are fun to feed though if you decide to try it. They react much like an anemone if you place a mysid or something on it. lol

Cindy,

i do 10% water changes weekly. I have never fed corals yet, how would i go about doing that, can i just feed them some frozen brine? I would like to try it, where can i get Mysid shrimp, is it alive? I have 3 watts per gallon, i know its not much, but i plan on getting more after i get married in 2 months, gotta save the dough. Thanks for all your help BTW, and everyone else.

Thanks,

Jeff

You could try the brine. I wouldn't give them a steady diet of brine though. They actually will just catch food when you feed the fish. I used to feed mine frozen mysid. If your lfs has a food freezer, check for mysid. They are a much better choice. Just take one and drop it in the middle of the polyp. It will wrap around it like an anemone does. I've never seen any other zoos react to food.

I just bought a orange sun coral. this is the 2nd day in my tank and it has still not yet fully open. How can I try to coax it to open? I try feeding mysis and even zooplankton but it still remains close! Or will it open when it is hungry?

Is orange sun coral cheaper than yellow sun coral? I bought mine for around 6USD but another LFS want to sell me the yellow sun at 100USD! (similar in size) 8O

Back
Top Bottom