Difference between a molt & dead crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First way to tell is to check if crab is still there. And if it is smelly it is most likely a dead crab rather than a molt

the tail end of a molt looks like it exploded

umm....the best way is if it moves it the crab

But I said "dead" crab in the subject (I'm not THAT new). :wink:

These are hitchiker crabs/shrimp so I have no way of counting. I know I have at least 1 pistol shrimp but I've never seen him/them. I have seen 2 molts I believe though - they were just flowing around with the current. I've also seen what I thought were dead crabs laying on the bottom but they could have been molts.

I'll try to get a closer look next time.
Thanks

I wouldnt worry about it especially if it is small....even it its dead...it will help with the cycling and plus Im sure something will eat off it....if it the molt then it will just mix in with your substrate

I know I have at least 1 pistol shrimp but I've never seen him/them.

How do you know its a pistol and not a mantis? I also here a light popping in my tank, its usually 1 pop every ten to twenty minutes. I have no deaths in my tanks, inverts or fish, this is why i beleive its a pistol. what does yours do?

- Jeff

badfish said:
I know I have at least 1 pistol shrimp but I've never seen him/them.

How do you know its a pistol and not a mantis? I also here a light popping in my tank, its usually 1 pop every ten to twenty minutes. I have no deaths in my tanks, inverts or fish, this is why i beleive its a pistol. what does yours do?

- Jeff

If I'm not mistaken with a mantis you hear the pops in a row. The pistol you hear single pops every now and then

thats what i thought, that actually confirms that what my friend has is a mantis, weve seen him, and he popped multiple times in a row. I have never heard any pops in a row, which is why i think i have a pistol.

Even with mantis shrimp you might not have deaths. If you keep a mantis fed they may not bother other fish or inverts.

Not that I would tempt fate by adding one to my tank though :roll:

How do you know its a pistol and not a mantis?

Because I've seen 2 molts flowing around in the current (at least I think they were molts, thats why I asked). I saw them a coulple weeks apart, first one was maybe 1/2" long with one large claw, next one was about 1" long and also had one large claw. Fluff told me those were pistol.

1 pop every ten to twenty minutes

Exactly what mine is - maybe a little closer in timing.

I've had one hermit die but I'm pretty sure he was murdered by another hermit (they seem to fight like crazy).

Remove the crab in question. It will become quite clear when you pick it up if it's dead or a molt. It's not uncommon to loose a few hitchhikers. It may not mess up your system leaving it in, but the only time I leave dead stuff in the tank is if I can't get to it without moving 100lbs of liverock.

I don't have any right now that I can see. It's just that since I've put my rock in about a month ago I have seen several (pistol, rock crabs and 1 of those crabs with the fans). If something was killing them off I wanted to know. If I can get to them I take them out.

It will become quite clear when you pick it up if it's dead or a molt.

How? Smell, "exploded tail"?

yeah havefun, sounds like a pistol to me. sorry to question you, i was just wondering myself because i can hear the pops, and i didnt start hearing them for over a month. I havent seen any molt yet, cant wait. I think the one giant claw is a dead giveaway.

Jeff

Well, when you pic it up, it will feel hollow if that makes sense. You should be able to tell if it has substance or not. Once you remove it, I'm sure you'll be able to tell if it's dead or a molt. If you are worried about predation, like a mantis taking out your crabs, I wouldn't worry. I had a large crab live in the same rock with a mantis for about two years. My experience with mantis' is that they go for easier targets like snails. You'll know when you begin to see broken snail shells lying around.

Back
Top Bottom