Different hydrometer readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two different hydrometers, one made by fluval and one made by instant ocean. The fluval one is about a year old; the instant ocean one I just bought today. The fluval says my salinity is 1.023 and the instant ocean reads 1.027. What gives? :/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hydrometers can be difficult to use. Air bubbles can get in there and really effect the readings. Make sure you knock all of the air bubbles out of the hydrometer by tapping on it to get the best results...but a refractometer will give you accurate readings.

Best saltwater related purchase I ever made was a refractometer. My hydrometer was off by 0.04 which is a lot!

Best saltwater related purchase I ever made was a refractometer. My hydrometer was off by 0.04 which is a lot!

Wait til you get an ro/di unit :p. But +1 to everyone on refractometers over hydrometers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with what has been said so far and if I may suggest I found mine on Amazon for a pretty good price

Brs still has their sale going, $25 for a refractometer and calibration fluid.

take a look at the Milwaukee MA887, it makes regular refractors look like hydrometers, lol self calibration and test all in a second

I used a hydrometer for decades. A refractometer is with out a doubt a good investment, but you can make the old plastic ones work. Just calibrate the plastic one using a friends refractometer, then every time you use it, smack it on the counter once to dislodge air bubbles.

Half fill it (just under) and tilt it(rotate L-R) let the swing arm come out of the water then slowly rotate it so the arm gets wet again. Really gently siphoning water in works too. Who said bang it? That works!
Temperature differential, that's the only other reason. I thought they only read right at a certain temp. Used one on a puffer tank for years.
Have a refractometer but I haven't used it yet! (Almost there)
I got one because every where I look it comes up as a must have for a proper marine tank. See above!

I actually have a rodi but I don't use it because of the 4 gallons to 1 of water waste :( I live in Arizona and the water here in the desert is at a premium price wise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom