Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Check Half.com for the book.

Half.com / Books / Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History

I have it too, great book.

My fish also go crazy for frozen mysis.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Both... but mostly the frozen. I only use the flakes when I feed pellets that my clown goby can't get into its mouth. The flakes, like most freeze dried stuff, just don't want to sink - even with you push it underwater.
I was looking at frozen cylcopeeze it was like 40 dollars a pack at Dr fosters and smith did you buy it locally for cheaper.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
I was looking at frozen cylcopeeze it was like 40 dollars a pack at Dr fosters and smith did you buy it locally for cheaper.
I just checked my freezer, and the bar I bought from a LFS was a 3 oz bar. Thinking I paid somewhere around $20 for it... maybe less. Not sure as it was ages ago. A little of the stuff goes a long way.

With the packing/freight costs, I would never buy frozen food over the internet. Even with gas as high as it is, you could probably drive to Seattle and back to buy a cooler full of frozen food and still come out ahead. Unless you drive a Hummer or something like that! Or look into a local aquarium club - they might do group buys from time to time and split the shipping costs.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kurt-I think I saw a post regarding the rod's food somewhere on this site....I've got a package of it and wasn't that impressed. It seems like it's a 50/50 split as to yea/nay on this food. HTH
Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles View Post
Here's another resource for finding new and used books at low cost: http://campusi.com/
Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish food is a huge topic in aquarium keeping. Just like human food there is no "majic bullet" that will meet the dietary requirements of all livestock. Variety is the key. While most fish are classified as carnivours or herbivours, almost all become omnivours in captivity. They key is to offer a variety of food coupled with good dietary suppliments such as garlic, vita-chem, selcon, zoe and plankton. I feed Rod's food (Rod's Food - The Complete Reef Food) Selcon, DT's phytoplankton and garlic to my reefs. The Rod's food is really like a blender mush you do not have to make yourself. The rest offer plankton, vitamins, HUFA's and garlic. I also hang nori sheets daily for my tangs. Over the years I have learned that "fish" food goes far beyond the regular flake and fozen foods on the market.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I answered my own question about Rod's Food. I bought some last night (let's see... fill up the car with gas, or buy a package of fish food!) and tried it out tonight. Only things I can really report is the fish seemed more interested than normal and really seemed to go after everything in it. I was impressed by the mix of size in it. And that both my big nassarius snails came flying up out of the sand. It's a rare occasion that both of them come up at the same time. We'll see how long it lasts as I throw it into the mix of foods and decide if it's worth it.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I'm 50/50 on Rod's Food. I like the convienende but can my own for so much less.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Kurt or anybody else- now that you have been using Rod's Food for a few weeks what do you think? I was planning on buying some tomorrow 6-oz for $20
Old 06-21-2008, 04:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cyclops is a type of frozen food that is great for coral and fish. Any type plankton is for small unseen critters as well as for some coral.
In a mixed reef tank its best to use 4 or 5 types of food adjusting to your tanks needs.

Tags
food, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com