Different types of Saltwater Foods.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
There are so many foods I am wondering about what to use and there uses.

Zooplankton
photoplankton
cyclopeeze. etc.. etc... etc...

Other than homemade blender mush. What foods are out there and what are the differences.

Anything with the word plankton in I get confused are they all the same really.

What is cyclopeeze.

I know what Krill is and I know what brine shrimp are.

Can somebody or everybody explain the foods to me in a more in depth manner please. Thank you

To add to this, one other thing I was curious about regarding this subject is what is the difference betweed "cyclops" and "Cyclop Eeze?"

One is a mythical one-eyed monster, and one you feed your fish.

But seriously, I think I have seen some fish food labeled as "cyclops" and to me that just means it's probably the same stuff as "Cyclopeeze", but isn't from the manufacturer that has the trademark on the name. So if they used the name, they'd be infringing on their trademark and would probably be sued.

The quick answer to your question fijiwigi is that it all depends on particle size of the food, and what the food consists of - animal or vegetable. Zooplankton are large particles (relatively) of mostly animal based stuff, while phytoplankton are smaller particles of mostly plant-based stuff, but with other dissolved organics too.

I think if you do some searching for the various terms on Google, you'll find enough definitions and explanations to make your head swim. And there's a really good chapter about coral foods in Borneman's book "Aquarium Corals" too. (Hint, hint.)

PS... Cyclopeeze are tiny "micro crustaceans" that are harvested from some pristine arctic lake, that have higher than normal nutritional value for something so small. More info here...

CYCLOP-EEZE®: Product Info

I use it - a little goes a long way. Fish seem to love it.

. And there's a really good chapter about coral foods in Borneman's book "Aquarium Corals" too. (Hint, hint.)
I really need to buy this book that is for sure. Does anybody know where to buy it for cheaper than $45dollars plus shipping. thats a lot for a book.

Last edited:
I was looking into that book too after, Innovater suggested it a few days ago. I saw it on amazon for I think $35 with free shipping.

Try a used bookstore. I have found a few good books there....

Do you use the frozen or dried Cyclop-Eeze?

Both... but mostly the frozen. I only use the flakes when I feed pellets that my clown goby can't get into its mouth. The flakes, like most freeze dried stuff, just don't want to sink - even with you push it underwater.

I use freeze dried myis, krill, phyto and zooplankton. I add it to a small platic cup that has some tank water and let it soak in. I then stir it for good measure before adding it (slowly) to the tank. That's when I'm not feeding blender mush or Rod's.

BTW, my blender mush includes some freeze dried cyclops-eze, phyto and zooplankton as well as some nori and oyster eggs if I have them.

Both... but mostly the frozen. I only use the flakes when I feed pellets that my clown goby can't get into its mouth. The flakes, like most freeze dried stuff, just don't want to sink - even with you push it underwater.
I was looking at frozen cylcopeeze it was like 40 dollars a pack at Dr fosters and smith did you buy it locally for cheaper.

I was looking at frozen cylcopeeze it was like 40 dollars a pack at Dr fosters and smith did you buy it locally for cheaper.

I just checked my freezer, and the bar I bought from a LFS was a 3 oz bar. Thinking I paid somewhere around $20 for it... maybe less. Not sure as it was ages ago. A little of the stuff goes a long way.

With the packing/freight costs, I would never buy frozen food over the internet. Even with gas as high as it is, you could probably drive to Seattle and back to buy a cooler full of frozen food and still come out ahead. Unless you drive a Hummer or something like that! Or look into a local aquarium club - they might do group buys from time to time and split the shipping costs.

Kurt-I think I saw a post regarding the rod's food somewhere on this site....I've got a package of it and wasn't that impressed. It seems like it's a 50/50 split as to yea/nay on this food. HTH

Check Half.com for the book.

Half.com / Books / Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History

I have it too, great book.

Here's another resource for finding new and used books at low cost: http://campusi.com/

Fish food is a huge topic in aquarium keeping. Just like human food there is no "majic bullet" that will meet the dietary requirements of all livestock. Variety is the key. While most fish are classified as carnivours or herbivours, almost all become omnivours in captivity. They key is to offer a variety of food coupled with good dietary suppliments such as garlic, vita-chem, selcon, zoe and plankton. I feed Rod's food (Rod's Food - The Complete Reef Food) Selcon, DT's phytoplankton and garlic to my reefs. The Rod's food is really like a blender mush you do not have to make yourself. The rest offer plankton, vitamins, HUFA's and garlic. I also hang nori sheets daily for my tangs. Over the years I have learned that "fish" food goes far beyond the regular flake and fozen foods on the market.

I answered my own question about Rod's Food. I bought some last night (let's see... fill up the car with gas, or buy a package of fish food!) and tried it out tonight. Only things I can really report is the fish seemed more interested than normal and really seemed to go after everything in it. I was impressed by the mix of size in it. And that both my big nassarius snails came flying up out of the sand. It's a rare occasion that both of them come up at the same time. We'll see how long it lasts as I throw it into the mix of foods and decide if it's worth it.

Kurt or anybody else- now that you have been using Rod's Food for a few weeks what do you think? I was planning on buying some tomorrow 6-oz for $20

Cyclops is a type of frozen food that is great for coral and fish. Any type plankton is for small unseen critters as well as for some coral.
In a mixed reef tank its best to use 4 or 5 types of food adjusting to your tanks needs.

Back
Top Bottom