Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dinoflagellates...help!

So in my 13 gallon nano, I'm dealing with dinoflagellates. They are spreading rapidly and I don't know what to do! Any ideas on how to eradicate it?

I've been reading about dosing with hydrogen peroxide, and it sounds like it is effective. Thoughts?

Old 12-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've decided to dose with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide at 1 ml per 10 gallons. The dinos have spread over all my corals that I figure that it is all or nothing, and either I will save my corals or they will die by the dinos. How long should I dose for?

Old 12-20-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Always post pictures if you have concerns it'll help others help you easier. I've had a few issues turn out to be something else only to be properly identified by people seeing pictures.

I think most people will start out wanting to know tank perimeters and feeding/lighting schedules. I'd say going straight to hydrogen peroxide may be jumping the gun especially if it turns out to be something else. Most algae can be controlled by frequent siphoning it out during water changes and reduce feeding/light schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd go the Peroxide route with this stuff. And at the same time, you might want to consider the 3 day total black out, just for good measure along with the dosing.
If you've got snails, remove them first, as your Dinos will surely kill them anyways, and cause yet more toruble.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay, i feed once a day, with a lighting schedule that starts at 6500k at 12:00 and moves to 15000k by 9:30 PM. This was done because I read that corals grow best at 6500k and get the best color at 15000k. Parameters are all normal, with a pH kind of low at 8.0. Pictures will be uploaded soon.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where should i put the snails?

Old 12-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dinoflagellates by bdschol10 | Photobucket.

Here are pictures I took this morning of it. Does this photoperiod sound correct also?
Old 12-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Dinoflagellates...help!

Does it come off easy when you try to remove it? To me it doesn't look like Dino but I'd be interested to see what Reefing Madness says. To me it looks more fuzzy/hairy then snotty or runny snot with bubbles at the tip. Sorry for the terrible descriptions...haha

Before you do any treatments move the snails to their own tank of some kind. Could be a bucket or whatever you have. Dino is notorious for killing snails because it's toxic and the snails try to eat it. Not to mention I don't think hydrogen peroxide is good for them either but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, sorry they are low quality pictures. It is definitely a lot more snotty and runny to me lol. It looks like a weird goo almost. And it also is getting oxygen bubbles in it, which is pretty weird, but I read is characteristic of dinos. I dont have an available tank, so may I just throw a heater in a bucket and put them jn there?

Old 12-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe you can give those snails to someone to hold for you. Dinos will more than likely kill them.

Tags
age, ate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com