Dinoflagellates...help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So in my 13 gallon nano, I'm dealing with dinoflagellates. They are spreading rapidly and I don't know what to do! Any ideas on how to eradicate it?

I've been reading about dosing with hydrogen peroxide, and it sounds like it is effective. Thoughts?

I've decided to dose with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide at 1 ml per 10 gallons. The dinos have spread over all my corals that I figure that it is all or nothing, and either I will save my corals or they will die by the dinos. How long should I dose for?

Always post pictures if you have concerns it'll help others help you easier. I've had a few issues turn out to be something else only to be properly identified by people seeing pictures.

I think most people will start out wanting to know tank perimeters and feeding/lighting schedules. I'd say going straight to hydrogen peroxide may be jumping the gun especially if it turns out to be something else. Most algae can be controlled by frequent siphoning it out during water changes and reduce feeding/light schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd go the Peroxide route with this stuff. And at the same time, you might want to consider the 3 day total black out, just for good measure along with the dosing.
If you've got snails, remove them first, as your Dinos will surely kill them anyways, and cause yet more toruble.

Okay, i feed once a day, with a lighting schedule that starts at 6500k at 12:00 and moves to 15000k by 9:30 PM. This was done because I read that corals grow best at 6500k and get the best color at 15000k. Parameters are all normal, with a pH kind of low at 8.0. Pictures will be uploaded soon.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Where should i put the snails?

Does it come off easy when you try to remove it? To me it doesn't look like Dino but I'd be interested to see what Reefing Madness says. To me it looks more fuzzy/hairy then snotty or runny snot with bubbles at the tip. Sorry for the terrible descriptions...haha

Before you do any treatments move the snails to their own tank of some kind. Could be a bucket or whatever you have. Dino is notorious for killing snails because it's toxic and the snails try to eat it. Not to mention I don't think hydrogen peroxide is good for them either but I'm not sure.

Yeah, sorry they are low quality pictures. It is definitely a lot more snotty and runny to me lol. It looks like a weird goo almost. And it also is getting oxygen bubbles in it, which is pretty weird, but I read is characteristic of dinos. I dont have an available tank, so may I just throw a heater in a bucket and put them jn there?

Maybe you can give those snails to someone to hold for you. Dinos will more than likely kill them.

Should i continue with the hydrogen peroxide treatment?

I'd try other measures first...run carbon to absorb any possible toxins. Remove snails to where you can safely keep them alive. Siphon and remove anything you can get your hands on and then completely blackout the tank for a few days. Then do a water change when the blackout is done and siphon anything left you see.

plastic storage container filled 1/2 way with tank water and cover they can live in a container several weeks with no filtration just maintain the water like your tank and use a small bubbler to air ate the container

Now, I've heard they are fed by WCs, so if I don't get it all out, they just grow right back with a big WC. And I will remove the snails. Should the container be heated?

Also, after putting in the 1 ml last night, I have noticed a reduction in some of it.

Some say no water changes at all and some say huge water changes. It's going to be a battle with Dino's. What's really going to help is lights out and getting what you can out of your tank

I started the blackout two nights ago, and added carbon. There has already been a huge reduction in the dinos when I quick checked this afternoon!

Don't let me give you bad luck but dinoflagellates is photogenic and requires light hence why in the mornings it's hardly noticeable but come the end of your lighting cycle it's out and everywhere.

I really hope the blackout works for you but be prepared in the fact as soon as you put those lights back on it can return :(

Yep, I've read that. Thanks for the reality check too. Any ideas on how to make sure it stays away? Should I lower light intensity?

Back
Top Bottom