Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2015, 12:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
It doesnt. I moved one of the Mp40's down after that picture was taken. They are at 100% and all it does is break pieces of this stuff when it clumps to together.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your going to have to break it up daily, make sure its gone when you do this. Would be better if you could siphon it out when you did it.
I've run into this before. It did it to me when I went to LEDs. I just kept the tank cleaned up, and it went away by itself.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you ever used chemiclean?
Old 06-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Several times. Works wonders...as a temp fix. It'll go away, but the nutrients will still be there. Chemiclean and red slime remover both work in similar ways, and your skimmer will overflow for some time afterwards. This only slows the nutrient removal down if you don't have a plan in place.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used red slime remover twice and it didn't remove it. My issue is I don't know where the nutrients are coming from. My phosphates tested .07 with a hanna checker and my nitrates were undetectable with a red sea kit.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

.07 is not bad really, considering your close enough to the norm of .05-.03 area.
You've got a combination of flow, nutrients and possibly iron in your water thats creating the issue. You could run carbon to remove the metal build up, keep wisping it away with your hand, and or powerheads, and remove as much as you can. What is your ALK numbers? You can get them up slightly and that can also have an affect on it.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im using ROWA, which I just changed after about 7 weeks of use. I have two 11 oz Chemipure Elite in each filter sock. I replaced both socks yesterday. I did three or 4 15-20 gallon water changes over the last few weeks. I was using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt, but yesterday I did another water change and switched to Tropic Marin Bio-Actif salt mix. I also did two dosed of red slime remover and an only using blue lighting. No whites which seem to fuel them. I only feed once a day, either Elos pellets, mysis cubes or oyster eggs.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Holy cow that alot of work. Using GFO and ROWA and Chemipure Elite, those things using Ferric Oxide, you gotta test weekly for phosphates, keep track of that number, as soon as you see it slide one notch, or get higher, the media is exhausted, and needs replaced immediately.
When you feed the Mysis Cubes, do you thaw them in SW first before adding to the tank, or do you just throw it in?
Old 06-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hold it as it dissolves. Im just trying to figure out if its just simply because my tank is new or if there is something else because for the most part I don't really have any other algae.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The thing that really confuses me is I have a separate mantis shrimp tank with just a HOB filter and a small powerhead. I originally used it as a QT tank with no sand. Once I got the mantis, I added some sand that I bought. I have never had a diatom bloom or algae of any kind in that tank. I overfeed the mantis all the time as well.

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com