Dirty sump....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boolay1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any ideas what I can do with my sump should I take every thing out and clean it?

image-3098955763.jpg

image-4197057676.jpg

Clean it out monthly is the best way. I'm really bad at it myself...but using filter socks will help lessen the mess in there. I have panty hose on all my return lines to minimize the gunk build up.

Clean it out monthly is the best way. I'm really bad at it myself...but using filter socks will help lessen the mess in there. I have panty hose on all my return lines to minimize the gunk build up.

Do I need to remove all the water from the sump and strip it all the way down?

Don't take it all out and clean it if you do you risk loosing all the beneficial bacteria in there meaning you may have a mini cycle just do it week by week a bit at a time

Do I need to remove all the water from the sump and strip it all the way down?

Use a piece of airline tubing to siphon things out. Even an unused turkey baster will work for removing stuff. What I do on my system for weekly water changes is mix up 5 gallons of water the day before. When I go to do my water change I hook the new water into my ATO. I then siphon out my water and do any necessary cleaning/removal of whatever is needed. By removing things prior to/during the weekly water change, whatever is sturred up into the water column is also removed from this water change, like algae spores and poop.

Back
Top Bottom