Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dirty tank

I like to own a clean tank, like everyone els. And i have seen many saltwater reef tanks and they all seem to have tons of crud and algea on the back wall! I am starting a saltwater tank and i do not want this to happen. Is there any way to prevent it? Thanks

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you keep your rock far enough from the back, you can use the standard algae scrapers and magfloats to keep it clean.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. Proper research, equipment, and planning. It is entirely up to you. A lot of that "crud and algae" on the back wall is coralline algae and something that is welcomed in most reef tanks. Google and the search function on this site are your friends.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ohh okay thanks.. Is it hard to remove?? Because the back wall always looks very very dirty
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1
Yes. Proper research, equipment, and planning. It is entirely up to you. A lot of that "crud and algae" on the back wall is coralline algae and something that is welcomed in most reef tanks. Google and the search function on this site are your friends.
Thanks! Google is never as good as AA.. I get much better answers here! Thanks
Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

No. If you clean your tank properly, it won't be a problem.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Most people envy a tank with the back wall covered in coraline. They add stuff like 'purple up' to get it to grow.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait what?! They want their back wall to be covered in algea? For the BB or what?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

In many cases, the tank is clear, and behind the back wall is a plethora of wires and other undersireables. When the coraline covers it up, you can't see all of the equipment and it looks more natural, as if its part of the reef.

I have a corner tank, and it looks like a triangle. The two side walls are painted blue, but I can not wait to have them covered in coraline as well as my overflow, just so it "blends" into the reef and looks more natural.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Wait what?! They want their back wall to be covered in algea? For the BB or what?
Coralline algae is considered a good thing because the pretty pink coloring is better then seeing black plastic (i.e. overflow box, powerheads etc) - particularly in a reef tank when you're trying to look as natural as possible.

Additionally (and these are someone else's words, not mine)
In summary the advantages of coralline algae are that it outgrows the nuisance algae. The healthier the coralline algae growth, the less likely the nuisance algae will grow. Corallines also add lots of color to the aquarium and help to build up a reef tank. It is not the coral that form the reef, it is the coralline algae that cements the particles together thus building the reef.

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirty, dirty tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com