Disaster!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pioneer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First disaster since starting up 5 months ago happened today. I came home from work and noticed a very strong hydrogen sulphide smell (rotten eggs). I thought tha this could only be my Aqua Medic Denitrifier, so while having a look at the equipment to see what the porblem was I noticed a kink in the return pipe back to the tank, to which I straigtned it out.
Five minutes later I just happened to glance at the tank and noticed the flagfin angel (juvenile) lying on the bottom. I rushed to the tank to find the Midas Blenny going blue and dive head first into the CC. This was then follwed by the clown sinking to the bottom. Panic set in, and I rushed to get some new water.
Realising I only had about 10% of the tank made up, I rushed to the store cupboard to get the salt ready to make up some more...shock horror, the Instant Ocean box was empty!.
Like a man possesed I drove to the LFS to get some more salt, only to get stuck behind some old lady in the queue who couldn't remember what she came for.
Dashed back home and made up 40% water change and did emergency transfusion. Unfortunately too late for the flagfin and the blenny, but my Yellow Tang, clown and yellow headed sleeper goby seems to be recovering. Fortunately all the inverts were OK (so far) so only lost 2 fish.

I was never convinced that the denitrifier was doing anything good for my tank in the first place, so that got taken out straight away.
When I took the top off it my wife nearly had to rush me to hospital with toxic posioning as the H2S smell almost knocked me over!!.

I suppose the moral is, always make sure you have enough salt in the house to cover a disaster, and never believe whatever miracle the manufacturer says it can do.

Pioneer

IMO, a denitrator is not needed if you have a DSB and enough LR. Guess you have come to the same conclusion by now :) . I'm glad to hear you were able to save most of your fish. Keep us posted on how things go and send some tank pics when you can.
Logan J

This should also be a lesson, if you find a piece of equipment that has a strong odor of hydrogen sulfide or other strong odor, do not fix it and direct the effluent into the aquarium.....clean it and then start over, easier and safer than starting over with new fish.

Sorry for your loss :cry:

I do beleive that you will never forget this, and now you have two stories to tell. How your little "starts with a d-thingy" almost made you and your tank die. And the second...explaining the whole "starts with a d-thingy".

Back
Top Bottom