Disaster!!! Water everywhere...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So there I was...I walked down to my car to grab something, came back upstairs and there was oh say 10 gallons of water on the floor and another 8ish still to spew out the side of my 24 gallon aquapod. It had cracked from top to bottom on one of the front corners out of nowhere...no temperature change...nothing...I have no idea...its been running since feb. so factory defect perhaps? Just waiting to happen? Heres a pic...

imgp3174.jpg

So I tossed my anemone, maroon clown, and some live rock in my little three gallon bucket with the heater and an old crap powerhead...

imgp3188.jpg

Then hopped in the car and sped about an hour and 15 minutes to the not so LFS in Syracuse, NY. Called them on the way down there, knowing in the back of my mind my tank was still leaking, and asked them if they had any nanocubes or something of the sort. Turns out they had a few of those new Biocubes by current in stock so I asked him to hold a 29 gallon for me. Ran in bought it, some salt and a SEIO power head. And was back on my way home. Got home, hauled the box upstairs, tore into it and did the ol' gravity drain and got the left over 12 gallons into my new tank...flipped the lame tank onto my knee and scrapped the sand out. Then I was off to walmart to get RO water...made that trip twice. And with some salt mixing and water checking...it put me here at about 11pm...

imgp3191.jpg

imgp3186.jpg

The next morning I added all my live rock which had been on the floor on a garbage back with wet newspapers draped over them. And much to my suprise the Finnex MH lighting fixture I had ordered before the disaster struck (19" 10k 150w MH w/ dual 18w PC actinics), came in three days early. So there was another big box I tore into and set up. Heres a few more pics...I like the wet/dry filter set up on the biocube...better than the blue foam crap on the aquapod...

imgp3189.jpg

imgp3224.jpg

But all in all...I went from this...

imgp2934a.jpg

To this...

imgp3228.jpg

imgp3221.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how to clean up this mess and where I can rent a steam cleaner for the carpet...it smells like a mixture between low tide and mildew in here...not very pleasant. And I find out tomorrow for sure...but so far it looks as if my renters insurance will cover it...kinda cool. Now some quick questions...I saved about 12 gallons of my old water. So that means 17 is freshly mixed (I let it sit for 24 hrs...thats about all I dared with the anemone) and all of my old live rock and sand. How much of a cycle will I see? Is there anything else I can do to ease the process? I added trace elements and PH buffer. The anemone looks great now after five days. That last pic was taken twenty minutes ago so thats as it sits now. Any input would be great...thanks!

-Mikk

Truly a bummer, but it looks like you averted a tragedy. Good thing you were home!

I do not think you will see a cycle at all...your bioload is light and things were back in the water quickly.

WOW! That is incredible! Good for you that you were able to save the tank. That crack looks like a possible stress fracture. Have you moved the tank or is it uneven?

That crack has a very strange... Path? I guess that would be the best word for it.

As your tank does, or should I say did, have curved corners as opposed to 90 degree corners where two pieces of glass meet I find the pattern of that crack to be kind of suspicious. The reason is because the crack travels from one side of the aquarium, over the curved corner and on to another side of the aquarium. I would say either the aquarium was mishandled during shipping or, as you mentioned, this is a factory defect. In any event, I would be sending that picture to the manufacturer and asking for a refund.

Your emergency response tactics are awesome though! Congrats on being able to resolve the crisis while avoiding any losses!

Best,
Joe

Sorry about the problem. I`m going to move this to the appropiate forum where you will get more answers.

WOW, sounds like you avoided complete disaster anyways. kudos for some hard work under pressure. Let us know what you think of the new tankand light. I am looking to start a 30ish gal SPS and clam tank...this may be an option. Again...good work!

i had a close call this afternoon too.

i was brushing my teeth, getting ready for an job interview when i heard this "SNAP"

a 10gal tank on my dresser just cracked down the middle, despite it had been set up for several months.

luckily i could see the crack through some sparse gravel and immeaditly started pythoning the water from the tank to my tub (if i had lifted it, the crack woulda completely split the tank in 2.

luckily i only got like 2 gallons on the dresser and carpet, had to reschedule the job interview though. ohh the clawed frog made it too, brought him to the 20g downstairs, which i had just taken my sick black ghost knife out of.

crazy stuff though...

As your tank does, or should I say did, have curved corners as opposed to 90 degree corners where two pieces of glass meet I find the pattern of that crack to be kind of suspicious. The reason is because the crack travels from one side of the aquarium, over the curved corner and on to another side of the aquarium. I would say either the aquarium was mishandled during shipping or, as you mentioned, this is a factory defect. In any event, I would be sending that picture to the manufacturer and asking for a refund.

I agree with AquaJoe. That does sound really strange to crack the way it did just out of the blue. I would call the manufacturer and talk to them. There has got to be something they can do. If not let us know what kind of tank it is so everyone on here can be warned of it. :) Not to add insult to injury, but I would be careful with leaving the top off with a sixline wrasse in there. There are known to be jumpers. Good job with the tank though!

Wow, lucky for you guys to be at home when it happened! Quick thinking on your feet probably averted worse outcomes.

cracked tank!!!!!!!!!

8) too cool! What a recovery.I would have been freaking out.My filter did the same under the cabinet through the power cords,blew the elects went on the light ballist an all. The dining room was covered in water.I aws nearly ready to pull the plug So to speak.10 points for your quick thinking.

Now thats a horrible thing to happen to anyone. I could just imagine your stomach jumping up to your throat when you saw the water making its way onto your floor. Good thing you acted quick and looks like you did everything correctly. Congrats on saving everything and new tank looks great :D

Hey there...thanks for all your comments. The tank is doing great...heres some pics. Got some great new frags. Picked up some australian staghorn...some rose millapora (sp?) Some other sorta of green/purple (super cool) acro...and a softball sized Echinophyllia Orpheensis...mouth full...again not so sure on the spelling but it should be pretty neat when it colors up and recovers from being under the LFS pc lighting. I just got this Finnex MH fixture...but I opted for the 10k due to buget restraints and am already thinking of going bluer. Anybody know anything about the XM 15k 150w? I want to bring out the color in my corals. Any thoughts?

imgp3333.jpg

Sweet! The staghorn, very cool. Watch him, they can not right themselves when turned over.

This is the second time I've seen a nanocube-type aquarium crack like that.. we had one break over a weekend in my office once. Needless to say a break over the weekend with nobody in the office led tlad to total disaster.. glad to see you were able to salvage things!

Back
Top Bottom