Discovered New Crab...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 125 reef tank that has been setup for 2 months. I added 80 lbs of live rock that had all kinds of life on it, but I didn't notice anything large scale until now. Sorry, I was not able to get a suitable pic due to the LED lighting that I use. I noticed a new crab, about the size of my arco crab (3/4 in leg to leg) or so. Its legs are hairy and shell has lots of small bumps. I know its not big enough to do much damage, but also hairy legged crabs are generally bad for the tank.

So, any idea what it is? And, even if I determine it to be unwanted, how in the heck do I catch it?

Take a tall glass and tilt it with the opening facing where you saw/ think the crab might be. Put a small piece of shrimp or fish or chunk of food in the bottom and wait. They usually can't climb back up the smooth surface of the glass.

Could be a mithrax which is not bad but not really good either. I would catch it for better inspection and pics. If you do catch it you can always put it down in your sump.

yeah it sounds like an emerald crab, ive seen some with hairy legs on occasion and see some in my LFS from time to time

Check out Myth #7...might not be an issue

This is interesting and i suspected that "hairy leg crabs" probably covers a wide variety of different crabs just like they say in the article. In my opinion though most people (including myself) don't have the knowledge to accuratly identify species of crabs. I don't think benifits of it possibly being a "good" crab is worth it considering the risk that a "bad" crab poses on our tanks. My rule is if it has claws and is not the little blue legs i put in the tank; it gets banished to the sump.

Back
Top Bottom