Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to silverain420 Send a message via Yahoo to silverain420
Disposing of unwanted creatures...

Hello all. I received my first shipment of LR from liverocks.com (Very Nice) Unfortunately alot of the little crabs didn't make it through the shipping process (quite a few did though!) and now I have a bucket of dead crabs! What is the best way to dispose of them? I also have a brittle start that is clinging to life, if he does not make it (and it does not look good), how do I best dispose of him? And if some of the surviving crabs turn out to be a nuisance... I know how to bait them, but then what? I will certainly offer them to my LFS, but what if they do not want them? I find it unfair to kill a crab because he will not exist in my aquarium, but I also know it's not safe or healthy to the environment to just let them go in the ocean. What do other people do?

--A life without ecstacy is not true life, and not worth living. -Eliot Cowan--
silverain420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
as far as the dead ones go you could flush em or i would throw them out in the woods but i dunno if you live by any woods the live ones if you have a fuge or sump you could put them in there or maybe just see if someone else might want them

Old 12-17-2003, 08:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ya i mean for the dead ones you can just tossem in the nightly trash takeout. For the live ones that you cant find a home for you can 'put them to sleep' so to speak by putting them in ice cold water for a few minutes. This will basicly shut their body process's down.

Please dont release captive items into the ocean. Its more cruel than putting them to sleep. If they do survive (probably wont) they could acutally become a nussance and damage the local ecosystem.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
Yeah just look at Florida....
Old 12-17-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
what kind of crabs are they that they become a nuisance?
Old 12-18-2003, 02:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to silverain420 Send a message via Yahoo to silverain420
Not sure yet... I plan on having soft corals though so will have to keep an eye out.

And I wouldn't let them go in the ocean - it would be way too cold for them out here! LOL

--A life without ecstacy is not true life, and not worth living. -Eliot Cowan--
silverain420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creatures, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com