Disposing saltwater "properly"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wjb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a 180 Gal Salt and have not done proper water change in ages. As a result, I'm starting to lose fish and inverts (crabs, snails - don't have corals, etc.). I've kept Ph, nitrite, ammonia, to the correct levels (8.2, 0, 0). For the longest time nitrate has also been zero. That is now around 20-40. I've supplemented but maybe not with the right combo. Hairy/nuisance algae has overtaken the live rock and covered any hard alga. I don't add salt often because it maintains 1.022 to 1.023 at 80 degrees.
My problem is that our property is not on public water and sewer. We are on well and septic system along with all our neighbors. I do not want to dump the water down our septic tank because it would kill the beneficial fresh water bacteria that makes that process (waste breakdown) work! And of course then the water from the septic tank would flow to a drain field and salt could or would continue to leech and kill root systems.

Is there a safe way to dispose?

Sorry for being wordy!

Bill

try to bring it to your local dump and ask around and tell them your problem and see what they say, i live on the oceon so i dont have your problem my water is cleaner than the ocean so im sure the fish dont mind it! lol

Dont put it in your septic. You could just pour it in different spots in the yard. I pour mine down the fence line. I have never lost any grass but I move around. I have heard it kills the grass but it has not killed mine.

Back
Top Bottom