Dissapearing Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all:

New to this site, found it through a search on Google.

Hope this is in the right spot and the format is right. My question concerns the fact that I can't find my anemone this morning.

First things first, Water Parameters
NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4 all test 0 as confirmed by LFS & my AP test kits
Ca+ 420
SG 1.022-1.023 read by refractometer
pH 8.4
Temp 78F
Tank running for 8 months
Set up and WC using RO Water

I just purchased a Bubble Tip Anemone acclimated him slowly (about 2 hours) and placed him in the tank last evening. A little time was left over on the light cycle, so he was in there for about an hour with some light.

Well, it took him awhile to float around and settle down to start off. He floated to all sorts of spots including grabbing onto a power-head before he finally hooked onto a piece of LR. Before I went to bed I noticed he was starting to walk around.

This morning, the wife and I are searching the tank and for the life of us, neither one of us can find him. I looked around the tank and stand (tank is not covered) and didn't see any evidence of him crawling out. I have allot of caves and crevices in the LR so I am assuming he is somewhere in there out of sight trying to calm down from the move.

My questions are:
1) Have they been known to crawl out of tanks, or do they realize they are leaving the water and stop?
2) Is it common for them to disappear into the crevices until they need to come out for something? I thought these animals needed light to survive.
3) Should I tear the LR formations apart to look for him? I don't want him to have crawled somewhere to die and really screw with my chemistry.
4) Am I just being impatient and should I just realize he will come out whe he is darn good and ready to?

Thanks for indulging the long post and thanks in advance for the help.

Wait a couple days....he will re-appear....

I seriously doubt it would crawl out of the tank. Probably impossible for one to do so.

Whne they tighten up, they are 1/8th the size as they are expanded....im sure he is just hiding!

DONT tear down your LR yet!

WELCOME TO AA!!!

I haven't owned one, but have read a lot on them. It is very possible he is hiding. They have to acclimate to your new lighting scheme, as it is probably a lot better than the LFS's. Give him some time and check your water. If you update "my info" with your tank's size/equip/critters, that would help greatly. Also, do you have a fuge or somewhere else he could have gone to hide? Like tails said, I doubt he would have crawled out of your tank.

No fuge for him to go to. That is one of the things I will add as time goes on "on my way to true reef" along with some more powerful MH lighting.

"My Info" should be updated now, hopefully you can see it.

I'll just wait him out and check the chemistry a couple of times a day until I can find him.

These animals really do have minds of their own don't they? They don't care that you spent $25 on them and that you want them to sit right in the front center of the tank so that you can enjoy what you paid your hard earned money for. And your clownfish doesn't realize that you bought the anemone for him and he needs to immediately swim into the middle of the tentacles so that you can dazzle your friends. Why am I spending all this money again? :eyes:

Not to mention the hermit that mowed thow a section of my mushroom polyps the other day. Hope they come back out. :onfire:

If I start to see any major spikes, I'll probably tear the LR apart to find him before my chemistry gets too far out of whack.

Thanks for the help.

1. Yes anemones do realize it when they get close to the water surface. They won't climb out of the tank and die

2. It is common for anemones to hide for the first few days. Yours will come out once it's acclimated

3. No

4. Yes

HTH. Welcome to AA!!!

A few weeks ago my wife unexpectedly brought home a pretty large bubble tip. He was proabaly 7" across fully inflated. He floated around for a few days then went and hid in the rocks and died. :cry:

One afternoon I saw his corpse being eaten by my crabs. Didn't affect my water chemestry one single bit.

You were one of the lucky ones Tex, as I have seen people`s tanks wiped out by a dying or dead anenomie.

melosu58 said:
You were one of the lucky ones Tex, as I have seen people`s tanks wiped out by a dying or dead anenomie.
I know, I was lucky, I took out all of the dead tissue as soon as I saw it. I tested my water several times a day until I was convinced the tank was okay. The bad thing is my wife spent nearly $50 on that BTA.

I hope finatic's doesn't die.

Well I saw him LATE last night when the moonlights were on. He was about the size of nickel and moving from one cave into another. I shined a small flashlight on him to make sure it was him, and he still had color and I could tell he had some of his tentacles out.

Good news is he is not dead and moving, bad news is he is still WAY shriveled up, not leaking anything though and still has his color.

Hope he is getting use to it. My conditions have to be better than the LFS.

NH3/NO2/NO3/PO4 all 0
SG 1.022-1.023
260W PC lighting
Temp 78
pH 8.4
Weekly Water Changes with RO water from LFS

So he has to be liking his new surroundings. Hopefully he'll show it soon.

Then hopefully the clown will take to him b/c right now he seems to be switching b/w hosting a PH and a piece of LR. LOL

Make sure the clown isn't a lot bigger than it, otherwise he might stress it.

Then hopefully the clown will take to him b/c right now he seems to be switching b/w hosting a PH and a piece of LR

You're lucky your clown hosts LR... I wish mine stop hosting pumps... XD

Good Luck getting that sucker to host your anem. You'll need it ;)

Back
Top Bottom