Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used tap when i started my tank and it led to a bad cyano outbreak and the algae problem. I bought a ro/di unit and do my weekly water changes with it snd my algae problems are diminishing. After seeing the ro filters i wont even drink my rap water lol.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm currently using tap and I'm not having any algae problems except some cyano on one side of the tank. It's very minimal and I'm pretty sure it's because of flow. Either way, I am going to invest into an RO/DI system soon and will begin buying RO water since my tank is destined to be a reef.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Even your buying outside destilled or rodi, you still need a tds meter to check it, those filters never get changed when they are needed, you really have no control over your reef water when using someone else's, as you do not know when filters are changed (if ever)
Old 11-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
Even your buying outside destilled or rodi, you still need a tds meter to check it, those filters never get changed when they are needed, you really have no control over your reef water when using someone else's, as you do not know when filters are changed (if ever)
Still better than using tap though, right?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for your comments. I'll get a tds meter for sure!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Since I don't have any meaningful coral yet, I figure this was my chance to try this out and get at my nitrates.

For the last 10 days I have changed 10% daily of my tank water with tap water mixed with reef crystals. The goal was also to slowly raise my salinity.

My nitrates went from 20-30 to about 10 ppm! My tank also looks a lot cleaner from all the dirt I siphoned out.

All the livestock seems to be loving it.

I know it would have been even better to use ro/di, but instead of procrastinating over my RO/DI unit I acted and got my tank cleaner.

Also it is a good habit now. It's kind of a ritual now, if I don't change my water daily I feel bad.

I still top off with distilled water. I'll keep you posted on the incoming disaster.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
One of the problems with tap water is that it can contain things that most kits don't test for. If you test the TDS (Total Disolved Solids), they will be much, much higher than RO or RODI water. Those can cause problems over time.

If you are going to use tap for water changes, then what is the benefit to using better water for top-offs? I would go the other way if I had to. At least the big water changes are putting in good water.
I've been handling the water in my tank this way for 7 months so far. The only problem that I've seen from this is that there is an occasional minor diatom outbreak occasionally but its soo minor that it can hardly be considered an outbreak. I will add that I have excellent tap water in my town though.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Tap water breaks a rule I use, don't add it unless you can test for it. There are many things that can appear in tap water that would take a serious testing machine to recognize and quantify. Most are unimportant, but some, such as trace metals can ruin your day. Might not see any metal until your city works on the water lines or associated equipment. Areas that flood also see major fluctuations in tap water quality. Evaporation effects concentrate these toxins in your tank over the long term, even with water exchanges. As a result, most if us believe RO/DI water is consistent and will keep you out of trouble even if your tap water tests good with the tests you have.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with using RO/DI water but playing devil's advocate here.

We are putting tap water in our own bodies over a long time.
Paying $100's per year for Aquafina/Dasani water ( RO water) and drink this and people
tell me it doesn't have enough minerals for our own body.

???????????????????
Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaazzurri View Post
I agree with using RO/DI water but playing devil's advocate here. We are putting tap water in our own bodies over a long time. Paying $100's per year for Aquafina/Dasani water ( RO water) and drink this and people tell me it doesn't have enough minerals for our own body. ???????????????????: facepalm:
Two very different scenarios. The human body can also concentrate metals, like mercury. Sea life also requires minerals that seawater supplies, but as with us, some chemicals are detrimental. Your kidneys constantly filter out toxins, just as your reef does, but some toxins don't filter out, they build up. Good discussion though.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com