Divided 75 gal mantis tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salem clemens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon mantis shrimp tank I'm setting up. I was wondering if I could put a divider in the tank and keep a giant zebra on one half and the other a peacock. Or is somehow I could keep them without a divider and for the zebra the sand bed needs to be at least 9 inches is that correct?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I don't know how aggressive mantis shrimp really are, but I am guessing that if they are able to see each other then there will be problems, meaning if you want to divide the tank then you would have to use a divider that isn't see through. What I would do is get a single mantis shrimp and have a sort of "main" focus in the tank instead of having two different shrimp with different needs.

I'm planing on putting in thick plexiglass so there's no way to break through. One is a spearer and one is a smasher. So with the smasher I will keep some fish and the spearer some crabs. So when it's time to feed I just get tongs or a net and move the creatures to there respective side.

Get some aquarium safe paint and paint your divider. No seeing each other, no problems. I can't verify but I've heard it's best to use acrylic tanks with mantis shrimps. Because of their... Hazardous abilities. Acrylic won't shatter like glass.

Caleb

The tank is acrylic. I was thinking possibly dividing it into 3 chambers and putting a dwarf lion and snowflake into one but this may be a bit of a push.

Back
Top Bottom