Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY aquarium build

I have several SW aquariums. Thinking about building a 300 gallon aquarium and selling the other aquariums. I want to consolidate the time I spend on maintenance. I suppose glass would be stronger for that size tank. What is the thickness I should get? And is it hard to do? I have a local glass company that I will order it from. Does anyone have any idea of the price if glass? I want to make sure I get a fair price.
Thanks

Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went to a local glass shop to get a quote on glass for a custom tank. Prices were ridiculous. I decided to go with a standard tank. Perhaps you'll have better luck.
There are numerous websites that give recommended thickness based on length and hieght. Ie 6'x30" is 16mm thick

Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

call ATM and get a quote on an acrylic tank. Acrylic is stronger than glass isn't it?

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry I haven't been on the forum lately. Building a tank might be more trouble than its worth. I have 3 SW tanks with the largest a 140 gallon. I was just thinking of having one big one than 3 tanks scattered about the house. Kinda hard to get out of town with that many tanks. Hubby doesn't know anything about what my tanks need. All he likes to do is look at them and show them off to his friends. Lol.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post
call ATM and get a quote on an acrylic tank. Acrylic is stronger than glass isn't it?
Dont call atm they are a rip off. I work at an lfs here in vegas and i can get the same tank for much less than atm. Id rather have a glass tank anyways.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used 3/4 inch. on my 8 foot only problem is it's heavy 352 lbs empty tank measures 96 x 18 x 24 nice thing is it dont scratch as easy as Acrylic

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, diy, diy aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com