DIY ATO - proof of concept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billberet

Aquarium Advice Freak
well i needed a good ATO but didn't want to rely on power, so gravity is my only alternative. I needed a proof of concept before i bought a larger water container and made it look more 'professional'
but for now i just want to make sure it works.

this took me 30 seconds to make and has been running all week, keeping the water level constant.
what i did was grab any container to hold water, stuck in a piece of 1/2" ID tubing. any tubing will do that can allow bubbles to travel up the tube while water travels down. depending on where you want the water level, that's where you drill a hole in your tube. when water evaporates, fresh RODI water gets put into the sump. all i have to do now is buy a bigger water container, then run the tubing into my sump. the yellow tube was just to keep the water tube straight but the zip ties are doing a great job. after it empties, i just unscrew the container and fill up with RODI water.
60421-albums10168-picture43217.jpg

here it is stuck on my sump.
i made the hole in the tube a bit high so it's keeping my water level just above the line.
60421-albums10168-picture43218.jpg

this works great, my only issue is that i only get 2 days of water out of it.
then i have to refill. time to get a bigger container.

Back
Top Bottom