Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Simply beautiful.

Fish do not read books, nor care what we think.
afishyonados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks for sharing.

I am considering a closed loop for my system to get the 2 PHs out of the tank. I am not planning to drill since my tank is established and just doing 1 input and 2-3 HOB outputs. It looks like you have 9 outputs do you find a reduce flow with only one feed line and being in serries?

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
There are actually 10 output nozzles, each end has one, one of them doesn't really show up in the pictures. As far as output for each nozzle, you need to design the system based upon how much flow you want, and what type of pump you use. I'm using the Barracuda pump, which puts out 4500 gph. But it's a non-pressure rated pump, meaning that it's good a pushing a lot of water, if there isn't a lot of restriction. That's why I used large 1.5" PVC thoughout the return, it doesn't restrict the flow much at all. With the ten 3/4" nozzles, I'm probably getting a total of 3800 - 4000 gph. If you use a pressure rated pump you could probably get away with a smaller diameter pipe (but I'm not an expert, remember! ). The fact that the manifold is totally closed keeps the pressure fairly even throughout the whole thing. With a manifold, you don't get a couple of very strong linear water streams, but more of an even strength flow throughout the whole tank, which from what I've read is the best way to set up the flow. And with the nozzles from the front colliding with the nozzles from the back, the flow is quite random, also.
20 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Better to have too much flow than too little. A few good size coral colonies can really block a lot of water.
Looks great and I bet it works even better. Very nice work!

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com