diy fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many members of this forum make and use their own "blender mush" w/ much success. FWIW I think there is a recipe for it on this site somewhere...

I use it and love it.I have not bought store food in 2 years other than nori, cyclopeeze and DT's phyto.

Cheap and healthy. The food can be boosted with vitamins and many other good things. Parasites will always be in the tank so we need to keep our fish and inverts as healthy as possible.

yep yep

I throw in

1/2 pound shelled shrimp
1/2 pound squid
1/2 pound oysters
1/2 pound tuna
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 sheets of nori from oriental market

of course all meats are raw

I put a cup of tank water in a blender... with @1/3 of all the items liquify it all, then add the other stuff and blend down to the size that looks managable for them.

Then I freeze it in ziplock bags, lay them flat, then just take them out of the freezer, break off a small piece and thaw it in some tank water or ro/di.

as mentioned before, just do a search for blender mush on the forms, you will find a few variations.

Wow, 1/2 lb of each. Do you make it for the year :)

I usually just get 2-3 shrimp, 3-4 scallops and a chunk of cod or white fish along with garlic, nori, zoe, and whatever else I have.. My last batch made 3 thin layers ziplocks. I usally try and get the meat counter guy to throw everything in a cup and charge me a flat rate per pound. My last order cost $3 :)

yeah, it appears i did make it for the year...

i honestly was given that list from someone on here, not even considering the amount of fish they may or may not have...

and then when it was made I was thinking wow thats a lot...

I have offered some to folks around town

shoot all that only cost me 14 bucks

1/2 pound shelled shrimp
1/2 pound squid
1/2 pound oysters
1/2 pound tuna
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 sheets of nori from oriental market

I use about half of this and it still lasts forever. Make sure that you are alone in the house when you make it... it stinks like you wouldn't believe!

yes, the wife retreated to a back room for a good hour...

another thing I can recommend, is that if you use your blender a lot at home go buy a cheap one to do this with...

I may be paranoid, but I'd hate to have a cocktail taste like fish :p

another thing I can recommend, is that if you use your blender a lot at home go buy a cheap one to do this with...

I may be paranoid, but I'd hate to have a cocktail taste like fish

LOL, I was making a milkshake the other night and was hesitant to use the blender since I made fish food a week ago. I used the hand blender instead :)

Back
Top Bottom