Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Diy led

I am going to be doing a dimmable DIY led fixture for my 3g cube tank. I am hoping to make it a medium ish light reef tank I was wondering how many 3w LED bulbs you guys would think is a reasonable number and what ratio of blues to whites you would use?
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Well, judging by the PAR38 lamps on ebay, They seem to have anywhere from 3 to 18 LEDs per unit. I would say to shoot for somewhere in the middle. If you are using Cree LEDs consider that they will have somewhat higher output also.
Also, the spread- I'm assuming you will be using 120 degree optics?
Are you sticking with just blues and whites, or will you add some violets as well?
In the end, if the fixture is dimmable, too many LEDs is no problem...not enough is a big problem!
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
ericwithac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southern VT
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I am going to be doing a dimmable DIY led fixture for my 3g cube tank. I am hoping to make it a medium ish light reef tank I was wondering how many 3w LED bulbs you guys would think is a reasonable number and what ratio of blues to whites you would use?
I would say 4-6. Generally 4-5 GPW is a good guesstimate, although im not as familiar with SW as I am with FW.
__________________
-Captain Bolt-

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are NO old, bold pilots."
ericwithac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwithac View Post
I would say 4-6. Generally 4-5 GPW is a good guesstimate, although im not as familiar with SW as I am with FW.
Do you mean WPG? When it comes down to it, WPG is a poor measure of light in any tank. There's a ton of factors that come into play in a tank such as height or the tank and distance above the water the fixture is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Well, judging by the PAR38 lamps on ebay, They seem to have anywhere from 3 to 18 LEDs per unit. I would say to shoot for somewhere in the middle. If you are using Cree LEDs consider that they will have somewhat higher output also.
Also, the spread- I'm assuming you will be using 120 degree optics?
Are you sticking with just blues and whites, or will you add some violets as well?
In the end, if the fixture is dimmable, too many LEDs is no problem...not enough is a big problem!
I believe the driver I have can handle 10 LEDs so I might go with that. The aquarium is made that I can easily add more LEDs down the road if I need to.



I'm planning on a duncan and maybe some encrusting and branching montiporas along with some zoas / palys for my corals in there at the moment.

I was planning on just whites and blues. I was thinking 6 blues and 4 whites. The white bulbs give 5300k to 8300k so I figured that more blue would be beneficial.

Taking a look back at them, the white LEDs I have are 5w each. I will be going with the 120 degree optics.

http://www.rapidled.com/cree-xp-g-r5-5w-cool-white-led/
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
I think 10 should be good, I'd go with 4 whites and 6 blues. You going with multiple channels?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I agree. That sounds like plenty. I like the ratio also.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diy, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Led 10 gallon build thread/alternative diy co2 thread krap101 DIY Projects 62 09-03-2012 07:29 AM
led vs. led which one if any? carey General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 09-22-2011 08:45 PM
To LED or not to LED phytoplankton Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 0 04-16-2011 06:03 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.