Diy nano skimmer idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not at all, if you have surface film, try switching your filtration to a sump or a skimmer attachment for the aqua clear hob filters, this will skim the surface layer of water clearing it of foam and other detritus

If u decided to use a diy pvc u can check a vid on youtube how to make a fantastic one, this overflow can work with a diy wet dry filter IMO is the best filtration method for any tank

I would try adding some AC to whatever filtration / skimming method you implement. And using gloves.

What do u mean adding some AC to whatever filtration or sump ?

What do u mean adding some AC to whatever filtration or sump ?

I once had the same problem, and I solved it by filtrating water with new activated carbon (AC). IMHO for this oily film you're going to need a mechanical and chemical filtration, even though I consider activated carbon a passive chemical filtration.

I use this new product for fw called bio chem zorb, will never ever use another carbon source again. Its got my 100% support! I had a problem with a cloudy 90 gallon, couldnt see end to end, looked really milky, switched from penguin cartridges to bio chem zorb, in all my filters, within 3 days it didnt even look like there was water in the tank !

I use this new product for fw called bio chem zorb, will never ever use another carbon source again. Its got my 100% support! I had a problem with a cloudy 90 gallon, couldnt see end to end, looked really milky, switched from penguin cartridges to bio chem zorb, in all my filters, within 3 days it didnt even look like there was water in the tank !

Looks good. From what I read Bio Chem Zorb actually does contain AC, as well as Zeolite and some other resin.

¿Have you replaced it recently? I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe the pros have some better ideas.

¿Do you know what's causing the oily film?

I dont have the oily film lol i was commenting on anothers users post lol they had it aha

You're right! And it seems the author hasn't replied for a while

Heres the second weeks skimmate from my diy skimmer

Attachments

• image-359903382.jpg
    image-359903382.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 65
How did you cut the bottom of the cup? How did you make it so the skimmate would not leak through the bottom?

I gently heated it up with a lighter, then pushed the pvc thru the soft melty plastic, thus forming a tight seal around the cup, i the sealed the bottom of the cup with krazyglue and silicone

Oh okay. How do you clean the cup? Do you drag the PVC along with it?

Yes the pvc is very short it doesnt extend past the cap that screws onto the water bottle, creating a cone for the skimmate and foam to travel up. The longest part of your pvc should be in the cup, creating a collection area below the top of the pvc pipe in the collection cup. It takes me two minutes to clean out, just rinse out with tap water and voila !

My 3/4 inch of PVC is too big for the water bottle. How did you fit yours inside ?

Finished my DIY skimmer yesterday and has been running since last night at 9. Hope my skimmate turns out to look like yours. So far I could see some yellow but that's about it. (also the bad fishy smell)

Back
Top Bottom