DIY Power switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been trying to come up with a way to easily turn equipment on and off easily. There's nothing quite as annoying to me as crawling under the tank to unplug something for any number of reasons so I figured I could just make the process a little easier.

I was thinking of using 4 illuminated switches to control the various functions. Heat, power heads, refugium return pumps and the lights.

My only problem is figuring out the easiest way to wire it, especially since my electrical experience is very basic. I was considering using a single 3 prong plug to bring power to the system and a grounding connector for each switch.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Amazon has a 7 gang switched power bar for $23. Each plug has its own switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could get a thin extension cord and hook up the light to the outlet that has a light switched combined to it.

Just use wall switches and mount the boxes on the side of the stand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want to go the multiple outlet route heres what you do:

Get a 4 Gang plastic outlet box and fix it to the inside, or where ever you're going to mount it. Get 4 switched outlet fixtures. They have a switch in place of one of the plug outlets, which controls the remaining outlet.

Have your power cord come into the box and extend 4" out the front middle before the outlet switches are connected. You will need 12 short connectors about 8" each. 4 each black, white and bare ground.

Strip 3/4" from each wire end, including the power cord end and each pigtail. Connect the 4 pigtails to each associated power cord end by twisting. Then twist on a red or yellow wire nut to fix the connection. Tape should NOT be needed.
Connect 1 each black, white and bare to the outlet, black goes on the side with the smaller hole in the outlet. Wrap clockwise around the screw.
There you have it, 4 separately switched outlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom