Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okey dokey, pictures.
This is the drain into the sump from the overflow box. In retrospect, I'm not sure why i felt the need to superglue the pvc pieces together. BTW, word of advice. Superglue sets faster on wet, warm, or porous surfaces. That being said, if attempting to get PVC pipe into an elbow as tightly as possible before the glue sets, it WILL set almost instantly while you're trying to twist it into position.

My ghetto flow regulator. Nuff said.

The DT and sump. I would have liked to be able to put the sump underneath, but the stand's door wouldn't have allowed anything larger than a ten gallon. But, I intend to macro algae the crap out of this with at least three colors! So it'll be pretty enough to look at.
I apologize for the crappy lighting.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, today I received my order from Gulf Coast Ecosystems http://www.live-plants.com. I order the "Halimeda Sampler Pack" and while it would be more accuratelt titled "Calcareous Green Algae Sampler Pack", I could not be more pleased.
Since I already have a Halimeda plant, I requested that the 5 specimens be of other species.
Russ responded to my email quickly, and the order shipped out as soon as my Paypal processed.
Imagine my surprise when I open it to find not 5, but 7 plants!
One bag was filled with Cymopolia Barbata (Tufted Green Algae), the other contained two Mermaid's Fan (Udotea sp.) and a mix of shaving brush, christmas tree, and pinecone algaes.
Upon opening the bags, I noticed that there was a fairly unpleasant smell, so I discarded the shipping water and sorted through everything. The C. Barbata was actually numerous small pieces shipped together, so I anchored the best pieces in a corner, tossed a couple into the DT (I just witnessed my foxface deciding he did not like the taste. Lol), and put a few in the skimmer/intake chamber to trade with a friend later.
Everything looks great, and the new shades of green and fun shapes really make the refugium stand out. I couldn't be more pleased!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Worth noting, this much calcareous algae will cause a fairly dramatic increase in the demand for calcium in my system. I'm going to have to start dosing liquid calcium. Totally worth it, though!

Tags
build, diy, diy refugium, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com