diy stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as you are sheeting it with good plywood, it should be fine. Be careful there is no twist in the top where the tank sets. Perfectly flat and level. As it is with no sheeting, it need cross braces to keep it from racking.

Looks pretty good. Like mentioned above, just make sure there is no twisting or swaying from the stand. Use metal brackets for added support if you can. Doesn't hurt to add them and will provide more structure support.

Ok thank. I'm putting a piece of plywood on back top and bottom. But I'm tongue and grooving 1x3's on the sides and front, you think that will be good. Or should I add braces as well.

The danger is the tank being pushed from the side and the stand collapsing. If you have a sheet of well-fastened plywood covering the back of the stand, it should provide the support needed to prevent that from happening.

Yeah. I'm goin to use a 3/4 inch sheet on the back. I think I'll add some braces as well, jus t to be safe.

For a 125 I would put at least 2 more 2x4's in the middle just to be on the safe side. Plus that 2x4 in the back will give more attachment points for the plywood. You are going to have doors on there anyway (I'm assuming) so no reason not to add some center bracing.

I know we are talking compressive forces and yes, I think 4 2x4's would be able to handle it, but with the cost is it really worth risking? IMO no...

+1 for the 2 x 4 center supports. Mine is very similar. I have 2 in the back spacing the back section in quarters. In the front I have 2 in the center where my doors will be attached. Overkill? I don't think so. Your dealing with like 1600 lbs of weight. Better safe than sorry because if it twists and the tank collapses, your done.

Back
Top Bottom