Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do bio-wheels contribute to the growth of cyano?

I have 3 bio-wheels 2 on my marine land penguin 350 and 1 on my marine-land 150. Should I remove them? I have had algae and cyano issues do they contribute to cyano growth?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No, they do not contribute to this. biowheels add another place for bacteria to grow, it is like a mechanical, spinning piece of live rock. How old is your tank? What is in your tank? How often do you feed? What is your lighting schedule?

The answer to one or more of these questions will provide the answer to why you are having these issues.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
No, they do not contribute to this. biowheels add another place for bacteria to grow, it is like a mechanical, spinning piece of live rock. How old is your tank? What is in your tank? How often do you feed? What is your lighting schedule?

The answer to one or more of these questions will provide the answer to why you are having these issues.

Tank is 3 months old. 30lbs live rock 30 gal.

Lights are on for 14 hours but have been debating on whether or not to reduce to 10.

1 Green spotted puffer, blue damsel. 1 hermit, 2 turbo snails, 3 margarita snails, 1 sandsift star, zoas, yellow star polyps, mushroom corals.

Feeding 1 meal worm/ or piece of shrimp a day for puffer. Damsel gets small amount of flake food every other day.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cyanobacteria usually grows in reaction to nutrients: primarily nitrates and phosphates. It also tends to grow in lower flow areas. I would reduce your light cycle to 10 hours. I consider 12 hours to be the max. Also, are you using RODI water for water changes? If you are using tapwater, that is a very likely source of the problem as well. Even if you are using some sort fo purified water source, check the TDS, nitrates and phosphates to make sure you aren't fertilizingg with each water change.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Deff reduce the lighting time

Tags
bio, cyano, eel, eels, growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com