Do clams need MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ti6al4v_15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 4 watts per gallon with PC's and was wondering if I need MH to keep clams happy?

any thoughts?

thanks

The only clams that you would be able to keep are possible a T. Derasa or a T. Squamosa.. The T. Maxima and the T. Crocea definetly need MH lights as they are some of the highest light demanding clams out there..

HTH<
James

That is not entirely true. Alot will depend on the size of the tank, the location in the tank of the clam in relation to the lights the species of clam etc..

FWIW, most purists will say that T. crocea and T maxima require MH, that is not entirely true, but it is the safest bet.

I have had a T. Crocea in my tank for about three months now. I use CF coralife unit with just over 5 watts/gal. and it is doing great. My tank is 18 inches tall. My clam is always open, mantal is a brilliant blue/purple. I spot feed DT's every other day...he looks "happy as a clam".

clams

Have one to he looks great
What is DT that you feed it ?
my lights -VHO 4x110 = 440.
I also have 2 Squamosa
Having a little trouble with my crabs but when they become too annoying the clams send them flying through the air

aldo :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom