Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do corals need periods of darkness?

I'm wondering if I could build a little shelf in my fuge to put small frags on while they're growing out. Right now I leave my fuge light on 24/7. The light fixture is a 9" Coralife "mini-aqualight" with two 9W bulbs (10,000k and actinic).

If that would be too much light for coral frags I guess I could go to a reverse lighting schedule? Does anyone keep frags in their fuge?

Old 12-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Good question. I am not 100% sure but believe that they would need to atleast be acclimated to a 24 hour light period if you were going to keep them in that. Since now they are used to being subjected to a period of dark (which is what happens in their natural habitat as well). I would imagine though that they would be better if in a more natural habitat that does not include them in light 24 hours a day.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooju View Post
I'm wondering if I could build a little shelf in my fuge to put small frags on while they're growing out. Right now I leave my fuge light on 24/7. The light fixture is a 9" Coralife "mini-aqualight" with two 9W bulbs (10,000k and actinic).

If that would be too much light for coral frags I guess I could go to a reverse lighting schedule? Does anyone keep frags in their fuge?
i think that they need darkness periods, what corals are you thinking about putting in there? with 18 watts you cant do a whole lot. only softys. i'd go with 12 hrs on 12 hrs off. revers would be fine. i know a few ppl keep corals in their fuge, its actually somewhat common i believe.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only have zoas, mushrooms, and soft corals to begin with (my main tank has PC lights), so I'm talking about frags of those.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would think that periods of darkness would be needed. Mine start to look different at the end of the day like they need some downtime usually right before the lights go off. I`m not sure but that is what my experience would lead me to believe.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Corals should have a darkness period, but not necessarily devoid of all light. In nature there can be quite a bit of moonlight overhead that penetrates through the water columns and I've seen complete darkness have negative affects on fish as well. As far as coral health is concerned, Borneman states that oversaturation of the tissue can be problematic and cause a toxicity issue in regards to photosynthesis. I gather this would suffice in causing bleaching events and eventual secondary bacterial diseases.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks James that was very helpful.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com