Do i have Diatom Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry i dont have a picture yet, but its on my rocks, and starting to get on the CC. It looks like a rusty color dusty substance. (like i said here one time... it looks like cayenne pepper.) If thats what i have at this early in the game, (tank is only about halfway through a cycle) how do i get rid of it.? Not even sure where its comming from.

Most likely that is what it is. Comes from not enough water flow and too many nutrients. I'm trying to get rid of a minor case right now. Not sure how you can get rid of it in the cycle stage, are you using shrimp to cycle your tank?

Just live with it untill the cycle is over, you could wipe down the glass and stir the cc bed to turn it over, but the most useful means of getting rid of it is time. Once the algae has consumed all the silicates that are fueling the bloom...it will crash to a level manageab;e by herbivorous snails, however you can't add those until the cycle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom