do I have enough lighting for a crocea clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
From what I have read, I think maybe not, but I just want to be sure. I have a 55 gal tank (4 ft. long) and have coralife PC lighting with 2x56 W actinics and 2x65W 10K bulbs (moonlights also). What do you all think?

Everyone else is going to tell you no, but I will tell you yes. I had a purple crocea in a 20 gallon under 65watts of PC light for about 8 months. It grew about 1/2" in that time.

That's just my experience though.

I would think no, there are light needy inverts/corals that will live and even grow under insufficient lighting but to really flourish need the higher output lights. I have a crocea in a 20L tank its under a 175watt metal halide and 2 55 watt PC actinics. Some have told me that my lighting is on the low side for a clam. Just my 2 cents though HTH

Croceas are the most light needy of the giant clams. According to everything I've read they should only be kept under MH lighting. I know from personal experience that they can take all the light you can throw at them, and some, and will love it! A Derasa or Squamosa clam would be more appropriate under your lighting.
FWIW Jason 8 months is not along time at all. It will some times take upto 6 months just for clams to start showing signs of stress due to poor lighting/water quality. HTH

that's what I figured. :( So Derasa's or okay and squamosa's are okay.....what about Maximas?

Maximas are alittle less light needy than Croceas but not much. Maybe if placed in the upper 1/3rd of the aquarium it would survive-but it may lose it's coloring w/ time. Honestly I have no personal experience w/ Maxi's... FWIW I've seen some Derasa/Squamosa clams w/ really interesting color patterns.

Back
Top Bottom