Do I have to do water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasdivegal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do I need to do a water change if my readings all look really good still? I have had my tank up and running for about 3 months now and have not done a water change yet.

But...my readings are pH=8.3 NO2 = 0 NO3 = 0 SPG = 1.023 NH4=0 :wink:

So do I still need to do one? My fish, xenia and rock all look really good too. I still have tons of pods too.

80lbs live rock
1 kole tang
1 dragon goby
1 bi color blennie
7 snails
3 hermits
1 sand sifter

what do you all think?

Water changes are done not only to export waste but also, in SW, to import essential elements that are depleted over time by your tanks inhabitants. Depending on what you have, IMO, water changes are vital. Replacing evap. water does nothing to the water quality. The "fresh" salt in freshly made water is what replenishes the elements. Here's more info http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/short.htm

I have tons of evaporation. I am adding RO water every 3 days.
Are you watching how much your SG fluctuates? Evap. water should be replaced daily, especially if it is "tons" like you say. HTH

This topic probably isn't as cut and dry as everyone is making it out to be.

There are people out there that run a perfectly balanced system that doesn't need more than 25% water changed in a YEAR. Infact I've read quite recent literature that states frequent water changes are BAD for the stability of the system. Anyway, most people overstock so they don't really have a choice.

I do think that if you don't do regular changes then you probably should be testing and supplimenting a lot more than just those parameters you stated. As MT79 said, some essential elements will get depleted over time.

EDIT: Forgot to ask if you've verified those test results are accurate?

Even if water tests show that the water chemistry is acceptable, if you are not adding trace elements IMO water changes should be done. I do smaller changes like 10-15% weekly in my 20 gallon. The water changes will export built up wastes in the water, excess nutrients etc. and replenish trace elements, vitamins, minerals etc. Probably not as important in a FO system, but much more so in coral tanks, water changes aid in maintaining proper levels of calcium and carbonate hardness.

I do water changes a lot less frequently as water volume increases. That's why I like my 75g to have 150g of water in it so far with the sump.

My smaller tanks are a lot more frequent.

I believe in the importance of regular changes. i do frequent small changes. Maybe 5-10% everyother week. I rely on the changes to replenish the trace elements that my reef needs. I do not add any reef additives to my tank, just rely on the new saltwater to do this for me. Hope this helps...Lando

Atari said:
This topic probably isn't as cut and dry as everyone is making it out to be.

Thank you. I thought it was a legitimate question too. After all, the parameters listed are the main reasons we do water changes. If texasdivegal or anyone else ever figures out a way to reduce the frequency of water changes, I'm all ears.

Wow! Thanks everybody for your thoughts.

EDIT: Forgot to ask if you've verified those test results are accurate?[/quote]

Yes, I have verified them with 2 lfs, one in my home town and then again at a larger store.

I use supplements such as: coral - vite and iodine.

Anyway, I decided to do a 15% water change today. Not as bad as I thought. :roll:

Thanks again everybody!

Did you read the link I sent? If not it is a easy read, and worth the 10 mins. 15% is'nt enough to do much in the long run. You should do atleast 20-25% at a time, ...Adding any supplement your not testing for is a bad idea...regular 20-25% water changes, IMO, will be enough to replenish those. Besides ammonia, trite, trate,Maintaing ca/alk is also just as important.

15% wouldn't do much if your main goal was to lower nitrates, but if they are reading zero and you're just replenishing elements then it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom