do i have to recycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
need way more info before someone can offer any advice.

wouldent want to mistreat a problem

by green do you mean like neon green? is the stuff on the rock raised on pretty low to the rock

-Brad

need way more info before someone can offer any advice.

wouldent want to mistreat a problem

by green do you mean like neon green? is the stuff on the rock raised on pretty low to the rock

-Brad

no its not like the pix you post but the green is very dark green and bright and the brown and red is on all level of the lr and one other thing is there is bubble on the glass at the back but i know its not bubble algae cause i got that before and its different...like if i get it off the in a couple hours it would be filled with bubbles again.

here is my readings

ammonia - o
nitrite - 0
nitrate - off the chart which i dont know why
calcium - 420
i know i need to test phosphate but i dont have any.

i have a sump with micro algae and chaeto(spelling)

yeah its kind of like the stuff on that pix but mines are darker and covers everything that the light can reach.

and i dont know what dinoflagellates is but the bubble comes off easily and come back fast i mean fast.

im 99% sure the stuff on my rock is coraline... any other kind of algae my Emeralds devour.. and i have a skimmer running so its likely not a direct cause of that breaking.

i dont have much info on dinoflagellates ... just that i know it bubbles... Xtalreef bottom of the page... see if the pic matchs

-Brad

nitrate - off the chart which i dont know why...

I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but you're going to need to find out why. Just replacing the water will not make the problem go away - whatever made the ultrahigh nitrates will still be making it, and after a few weeks you'll be back to where you are now. (Not to mention a 100% water change will stress the living heck out of your fish and any corals.)

First off... get rid of your crushed coral. That is notorious for catching debris and elevating nitrates. Get rid of a section at a time so you're not disturbing the sand bed too much, all at once.

You say your source water is great, but where are you getting it from? Tap? LFS? RO/DI? Source water should be the first thing you look at when you're having water quality issues.

i was thinking its because of my skimmer breaking because all this happen when my skimmer broke

but the bubbles doesn't match any pic on that site the bubbles in my tanks
and i know i have diatoms and other kind of algae just dont know what kind, i was thinking of just starting over and hopefully dont lose anything.

I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but you're going to need to find out why. Just replacing the water will not make the problem go away - whatever made the ultrahigh nitrates will still be making it, and after a few weeks you'll be back to where you are now. (Not to mention a 100% water change will stress the living heck out of your fish and any corals.)

First off... get rid of your crushed coral. That is notorious for catching debris and elevating nitrates. Get rid of a section at a time so you're not disturbing the sand bed too much, all at once.

You say your source water is great, but where are you getting it from? Tap? LFS? RO/DI? Source water should be the first thing you look at when you're having water quality issues.

i get my water from a LFS and he test it before i get will i make him test it. And that where i have been getting my water ever since i started this hobby.

what color is the bubble? green like bubble algae? there is more than the one type of bubble algae.

-Brad

what color is the bubble? green like bubble algae? there is more than the one type of bubble algae.

-Brad

the bubble is clear and breaks up right when it hit the surface like any other bubble.

but since i switch my lighting to 6 hours its getting a little better so i guess ill just do pwc and cut the lights and see if it will get everything back to normal and i found my source for the high nitrates, one of my devils hand died without me knowing.

once everything gets back to normal ill have pix right aways ill keep you guys updated.

My suggestion to you is to test your source water from the LFS yourself. His test could be wrong. Water quality is key and if you are getting poor water then it's hard to control what happens in the tank.

The best thing you can do is get your own RO/DI unit and make your own water. Depending on an LFS is scary IMO!.

after a few weeks of headache i finally got it under control and during this process i notice the my devils hand was missing found it dead under a rock all rotten but got everything under control.

Back
Top Bottom