Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

or is it something like this

IMG_3021.jpg picture by bsedore - Photobucket

-Brad

Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Sedore View Post
can you get a picture?

-Brad
i can but not til tomorrow, thats when im getting my camera...

any solution on how to get everything back to normal.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

need way more info before someone can offer any advice.

wouldent want to mistreat a problem

by green do you mean like neon green? is the stuff on the rock raised on pretty low to the rock

-Brad
Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Sedore View Post
need way more info before someone can offer any advice.

wouldent want to mistreat a problem

by green do you mean like neon green? is the stuff on the rock raised on pretty low to the rock

-Brad
no its not like the pix you post but the green is very dark green and bright and the brown and red is on all level of the lr and one other thing is there is bubble on the glass at the back but i know its not bubble algae cause i got that before and its different...like if i get it off the in a couple hours it would be filled with bubbles again.

here is my readings

ammonia - o
nitrite - 0
nitrate - off the chart which i dont know why
calcium - 420
i know i need to test phosphate but i dont have any.

i have a sump with micro algae and chaeto(spelling)
Old 01-25-2009, 01:40 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dinoflagellates? (the bubbles)

im not sure... IMG_3271.jpg picture by bsedore - Photobucket like the brown stuff on the rock around that brain?

-Brad
Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah its kind of like the stuff on that pix but mines are darker and covers everything that the light can reach.

and i dont know what dinoflagellates is but the bubble comes off easily and come back fast i mean fast.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

im 99% sure the stuff on my rock is coraline... any other kind of algae my Emeralds devour.. and i have a skimmer running so its likely not a direct cause of that breaking.

i dont have much info on dinoflagellates ... just that i know it bubbles... Xtalreef bottom of the page... see if the pic matchs

-Brad
Old 01-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokmijn View Post
nitrate - off the chart which i dont know why...
I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but you're going to need to find out why. Just replacing the water will not make the problem go away - whatever made the ultrahigh nitrates will still be making it, and after a few weeks you'll be back to where you are now. (Not to mention a 100% water change will stress the living heck out of your fish and any corals.)

First off... get rid of your crushed coral. That is notorious for catching debris and elevating nitrates. Get rid of a section at a time so you're not disturbing the sand bed too much, all at once.

You say your source water is great, but where are you getting it from? Tap? LFS? RO/DI? Source water should be the first thing you look at when you're having water quality issues.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

i was thinking its because of my skimmer breaking because all this happen when my skimmer broke

but the bubbles doesn't match any pic on that site the bubbles in my tanks
and i know i have diatoms and other kind of algae just dont know what kind, i was thinking of just starting over and hopefully dont lose anything.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but you're going to need to find out why. Just replacing the water will not make the problem go away - whatever made the ultrahigh nitrates will still be making it, and after a few weeks you'll be back to where you are now. (Not to mention a 100% water change will stress the living heck out of your fish and any corals.)

First off... get rid of your crushed coral. That is notorious for catching debris and elevating nitrates. Get rid of a section at a time so you're not disturbing the sand bed too much, all at once.

You say your source water is great, but where are you getting it from? Tap? LFS? RO/DI? Source water should be the first thing you look at when you're having water quality issues.
i get my water from a LFS and he test it before i get will i make him test it. And that where i have been getting my water ever since i started this hobby.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com