Do I need a calcium reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it necessary to use a calcium reactor to maintain calcium levels? Or should I just plan on dosing with my Evs 2 part?

Pros and cons?

Calcium reactors are ridiculous pieces of equipment. You really don't need one for healthy params.

Lol I only dose small amount of kent turbo-calcium, and it raise at 500ppm... If it's easy for you to dose it (daily?) manually until you reach 450ppm, then you really far from need a calcium reactor !

Just test for the daily or weekly calcium consumption rate, and dose according to this...

I decided to buy a dosing pump and will test and measure consumption. I want to lessen maintenance as much as I can because I get busy and forget.

Lol I only dose small amount of kent turbo-calcium, and it raise at 500ppm... If it's easy for you to dose it (daily?) manually until you reach 450ppm, then you really far from need a calcium reactor !

Just test for the daily or weekly calcium consumption rate, and dose according to this...
better watch dumping calcium in the tank without tending to the alk. You are going to end up doing more harm than good. If I was going to dose something, it would be alk, not calcium. Corals just grow a little slower with low calcium- corals die from alk fluctuations.

better watch dumping calcium in the tank without tending to the alk. You are going to end up doing more harm than good. If I was going to dose something, it would be alk, not calcium. Corals just grow a little slower with low calcium- corals die from alk fluctuations.

According to RedSea tests, my alk doesn't move too much... Even if I dose calcium...

Back
Top Bottom