Do I need A Filter to start cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do i need to use a filter to start cycling the tank?

I am going to buy my live rock soon and dont know if a filter is needed to start the process. I have a heater, tank, Power head, buying salt and sand next week, following week buying the rock. If needed I have a spong filter with a 10gallon pump I could use if needed.

There will be 45lbs of live rock in the tank.

Think of it like this. You set up a tank to cycle it and the water is just stagnant. Plus you want to build up beneficial bacteria in your filter media. Hope I'm on the right track.

I thought that the Rock was the main BB source in the tank and the filter was just there to collect particals and keep the water flowing. I have a Powerhead so the water would move still, the powerhead moves 1050 gallons an hour.

CleverBs said:
I thought that the Rock was the main BB source in the tank and the filter was just there to collect particals and keep the water flowing.

I could be wrong. I'm a newbie but I'm doing a lot of research. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Sorry.

CleverBs said:
I thought that the Rock was the main BB source in the tank and the filter was just there to collect particals and keep the water flowing. I have a Powerhead so the water would move still, the powerhead moves 1050 gallons an hour.

I believe you may be right. You can cycle a SW tank with live rock. I read somewhere that after the tank is cycled you then fill the filter with the water. Again I'm new and Learning myself.

You don’t need a filter. You really don’t even need live rock to cycle a tank. The “good" bacteria that cycles a tank is on basically every surface in the world. Now, that said, live rock will add to the diversity of bacteria and speed the cycling process. All you should get is a powerhead, live rock, and sand (doesnt have to be live) dry sand is much cheaper and cleaner.

thats if you use rock in your tank. some go with a fish only and you will require skimmers and other filtration methods

Im more asking if I put my live rock in a tank with a power head, heater, sand will it begin to cure or would it require a filter for healthy curing? I have a sponge filter if that is needed.

IMO,you need to run your power heads,any filtration system,including skimmer,if you have one,during the cycle process,will speed it up and help get rid of any die off .

Ah ok I see, Im thinking ill be able to buy everything within the next couple weeks so if I have the live rock without a filter for a week it wont hurt the rock any right?

CleverBs said:
Ah ok I see, Im thinking ill be able to buy everything within the next couple weeks so if I have the live rock without a filter for a week it wont hurt the rock any right?

No,but at least run a powerhead to keep the water circulating around it.

Back
Top Bottom