Do I need a hospital tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently upgraded my stand so I had to move everything inside my tank; fish rocks, and water in order to transfer the tank to the new stand. Afteer all the chaos in the living room everything was running again. Then I started noticing some of my fish were very stressed and I ended up losing 3 fishes in about a month. Now what's left is my clownfish, flame angel and a baby tang(about 3").

My problem is my tang. I know he needs a bigger home and I know people will yell at me here for having him in a 55 gal :( He's been really healthy when I got him 5 months ago with flawless skin. NOw after the transfer he has some raised bumps on his skin, looks more like a pimples and I don't know what to do. I've been feeding this guy algae sheets since day one and he's been healthy and eating very well.

Its been days now that I've been thinking of using my 10 gallon tank as a hospital tank since I have extra heater, light, thermometer but I just don't know what do to... Do I really need a hospital tank to move all my fish and then treat them or should I just raise tempt to 85F?

You should have moved the tang to QT immediately. It has some ich and it will take weeks to treat it. Your DT may already have those ich on the rocks and substrate. You can stabilize them again or you can do the fallow before putting them back again.

You should have moved the tang to QT immediately. It has some ich and it will take weeks to treat it. Your DT may already have those ich on the rocks and substrate. You can stabilize them again or you can do the fallow before putting them back again.

Thanks for replying. Is it too late if i move my tang now? Also, do i leave the other fishes in my DT?

As long as your fish are not stressed they can deal with that ich in your DT. Use garlic xtreme by kent and vitamin c on both tanks to gain immunity. The tang should stay on QT until it has recovered for at least 3 weeks then put him back. Most likely though he might pick up that ich again when he is stressed.

The "tang police" will always yell. Some say nothing smaller than a 75 gallon some say 6 foot length of tank some say nothing less than 125 gallon. It's your tank no one else's.

If your tank has ich, you need to QT all of your fish and allow the main tank to stay fallow for at least 6 weeks to allow the parasite to go through it's full life cycle and die off..... Just pulling one fish out and treating it, the parasite will persist on other host fish and continually perpetuate. With tangs being very susceptable to ich, it will catch it again....

If your tank has ich, you need to QT all of your fish and allow the main tank to stay fallow for at least 6 weeks to allow the parasite to go through it's full life cycle and die off..... Just pulling one fish out and treating it, the parasite will persist on other host fish and continually perpetuate. With tangs being very susceptable to ich, it will catch it again....

Thanks, so im gonna be catching my fishes tomorrow and put them in the QT. how about the invertebrates? Like my shrimps? Do I put them in the QT too?

Do you have, or can you get decent pics? Bumps could be irritations from ich..... but ich itself looks like grains of sugar or salt on the fish.

My QT clean now and I just need to put the heater and water. If i put my tang in there what kind of treatment should i buy?

Back
Top Bottom