Do i need a skimmer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WWodyz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just switched from FW to SW, ive got a 40 g tank, now the fish store said since its a small tank, i dont really need a skimmer. the question is, do i need a skimmer??

If you keep a light bioload you dont need one. However it is hard to stay light on your bioload. I always have used one because IMO a skimmers pros, outwiegh the cons.

This is a very common question about SW tanks. No, you don't have to have a skimmer. Skimmerless tanks can be successful, but are best left to experienced SW aquarists and most of them have one laying around for times when they see the need to run it for a while. I highly recommend that you get one though. The skimmer will pull a lot of the organics out of the water before they become nitrate. My challenge to most folks who say a skimmer is not needed is this: Put a skimmer on your tank for a week and then drink what's in the collection cup...then I'll agree the skimmer isn't needed. :mrgreen:
For your tank, my first recommendation would be an Aqua C Remora with a Maxi Jet pump (stay away from the Rios). Next would either be a Prizm or a Seaclone. There is a large price difference in these skimmers. The Aqua C will outperform the other two by a large margin which justifies the price. Whatever you get, try to obtain a surface skimmer with it...this will increase your efficiency immensely.

seaclone 100

Thanks for the reply and advise :lol: anyways, i shopped around and saw a seaclon 100 in my local aquarium store and the price for the seaclone 100 was $100.00... i search on ebay and saw it brand new for $59.00 plus $9.95 shipping, so i bought it...question, will this be plug and play or do i have to do or spend some other stuff to make it work?? my wife thinks im going nuts over this SW conversion...

The Seaclone is pretty much plug and play...and you got a pretty good price on it too. Don't expect it to do much other than fill your tank with micro bubbles for a few days though. They have to "break in" for a while before they start to work. The Seaclone isn't an extremely efficient skimmer, but it's much better than not having one at all. I have several of them in use. Once it gets a coating of gunk on the throat, it'll settle down and start to pull DOC's out of the water. One way you can improve the efficiency is by adding a surface skimmer so the skimmer is fed water from the top of the tank which is where most of the DOC's will be. Although I haven't put it to the test yet, I'm thinking one of the Lee specimen containers could be fashioned into a usable surface skimmer. I've also thought about installing one with some kind of floats on each side so that it would function even if the water level in the tank dropped a little.

Back
Top Bottom