Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do I need a sump?

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this hobby and have spent much time reading and studying it's different aspects. And yes, I do understand the patience is the number one key element to doing this right.

I would like to start a 40-60 g sw tank with fish, live rock and some inverts. I would like to get into reefing but from what I read it sounds like it's tricky. Before I go out and buy my product could people give me a check list as to the hardware I should be shopping for? Also, is it possible to put a sump below the tank in a cabinet? What size of sump tank would I need?

I really appreciate this forum and would love to hear back from some of you veterans? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Also, is it possible to put a sump below the tank in a cabinet?
Not to sound smart or anything but yes thats where most of us keep them. Others plumb them from their basement or from behind a wall and into a special fish closet/room.

For a 60gal tank I would have a sump no smaller than 20 gal.

Hardware, Since you said you want to get into reef Ill factor that in.

High output lights. Either VHO, MH or PC. Shoot for 300W of florecent light or 2 150W MH and 100W actinic.
Powerheads (number to be determined by flow patterns around rock and corals)
Heater
Hydromoter
Salt
Test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, alkinity, calcium
assorted fish buckets
75-100 lbs of live rock
3"+ depth of sand
quality skimmer
Overflow (if your tank is not 'reefready')
Return pump (if you use a sump)
Misc plumbing supplies to connect sump to main tank

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fishfreek suggested an overflow if your tank isn't "reefready" I would recommend purchasing a reef ready tank if you haven't gotten a tank already. They cost more but you won't have to buy an overflow and your mind will be much more at ease about discovering water all over your floor!
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Everyone speaks bad about hang on overflows but I havnt had the bad luck others have. Keepem clean and they run trouble free for years.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those HOB Overflows make me nervous... 8O
Old 07-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
i dont clean mine and i have never had a problem with a wet floor. i have done power off test and all. still no problems. they just do not look the best.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

The only problem I've had with the hang on the back type overflows is the incredible noise they made when I first got the tank running. I looked into the problem and the made some Stockman Standpipes to go inside them and now they are completely silent. Even with the worst possible disaster there isn't the potential for all that much water winding up on the floor. I don't know if I'd go for the reef ready tank if I were to do it all over again...for a 120 gallon tank, the inside overflows do take up a chunk of room and I'm comfortable with the overflows I have now that I know exactly how they work and the limitation on the possibility of flooding.

As far as the sump is concerned...make sure that the one you do wind up getting has enough room for the pump that drives the circulation back to the tank...the pump that drives your protein skimmer....the pump that drives your UV if you chose to get one of those....your heater and some carbon if you decide you want to use that too....The bigger, the better is a good rule of thumb because it gives you more options.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:42 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I tell you the ones I do not like are the CPR overflows. Those worry me greatly. The U tube overflows are almost fouless.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I tell you the ones I do not like are the CPR overflows. Those worry me greatly
Easy fella!

CPR Aquatic ought to pay me as a rep for those overflows. I must "back them up" at least once a month.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:20 PM   #10
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Biggen...I'm just curious because I don't have that type...I have the more traditional kind of over the back of the tank overflows...with siphons...What do you mean when you say you have "back up" the CPR kind of overflow??

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com