Do I need extra shells for hermit crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some of those from LiveAquaria.com. They are OK, but small. Right now I am trying to find some bigger ones. 2 of my blue legged crabs are getting quite large.

have some of those from LiveAquaria.com. They are OK, but small. Right now I am trying to find some bigger ones. 2 of my blue legged crabs are getting quite large.

How big are you looking for? I just did a quick eBay search and they have a lot of shells up for sale, but I don't know if they are the size you want

Well, I was going to hold off a couple of weeks. I am going to Cozumel at the end of the month and will be doing a lot of diving. Figured I may find some there.
If not, thats a good Idea looking on ebay. :wink:
I need them 2-3"in length.

quarryshark said:
Well, I was going to hold off a couple of weeks. I am going to Cozumel at the end of the month and will be doing a lot of diving. Figured I may find some there.
If not, thats a good Idea looking on ebay. :wink:
I need them 2-3"in length.

I just got back from Playa del carmen. I case you don't find any I hit a gift shop and I found a huge bag for shell for 2 bucks. There was all different sizes my hermit already moved in.

I read a post here earlier that said someone found them (spare shells) at a craft store and also at wal-mart

I'd be interested to know if the craft store/ Walmart shells worked?

Liveaquaria has them for cheap, but they require a $30 minimum purchase and shipping is +$20.

They are also really really small. I just got some and was really dissapointed as the ones I have are bigger than the shells they sent me. HTH Sue

You can dump them behing your rocks it you don't want to see them. I just put a few in the sand in front of the rocks. They are alway swicthing homes so I like to have a lot of shells.

go to the local craft store. I bought a large bag of assorted shells, brought them home boiled them and tossed them in the tank. The crabs came running to check them out.

seaham358 said:
go to the local craft store. I bought a large bag of assorted shells, brought them home boiled them and tossed them in the tank. The crabs came running to check them out.

Good idea, thanks.

Found some at Walmart. This one was $0.97... comes in the little basket. Only a couple look useable, others are too small.

This one was $2.97 and came in a black netting. Again, only a few look useable... the rest is for decoration.

They can be found in the arts and craft section.

now i was told that they will only grow to fit in the shell so if you hve no extra ones they will only grow in to the shell they have now. i have had all of mine for about 6 months and i have 2 diferent types and i have only lost like 2-3 of them. if that. i never did a real count of them when i put them in but that is just a guess from what they said the shipped me. but i can get a good cound every once a wile. so i dont think you really need the extra ones.

Back
Top Bottom