Do I need fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Nano with all inverts. Should I have a fish of some sort to balance things out? I have plenty of inverts to take care of algae and detritus, but didn't know if the fish helped in some other way, other than asthetics.

If you could care less about fish then I would say no. A fish would help keep the bacteria colonies stay stable. I think you can also achieve this with inverts so I would say NO you don't need a fish.

A fish would help keep the bacteria colonies stay stable.
How would a fish help this?

I do like the fish, but the tank only holds about 9 gal SW and theres about 8lbs LR and all of the critters. Just seems a little cramped to me.

nah. a cardnial would do well I think.

Fish help complete the "natural cycle." It gives you a fully functional Nano environment.

I think a little 6 line wrasse would be neat. Also got bait how does the lighting do on your nano with the corals I am thinking about buying one myself.

The fish helps by excreting waste ecspecially ammonia. This is what feeds the bacteria, also nitrites do the same. Inverts also produce waste but it is such small amounts it generally dosen't matter. If you don't want a fish don't get one, I think a fishless nano reef is smart thinking, to keep the water at its best.

Also got bait how does the lighting do on your nano with the corals I am thinking about buying one myself.
Wouldn't put any anemone or SPS or clams, just 24W. They are now making retros for the lights now to accommodate some of these corals. Get some fans too.
These tanks come pre-drilled for 60mm fans. I just have shrooms, polyps, ricordias and some macros in there. Not going to upgrade lighting, goin to 100gal soon and I will use the nano as a QT tank or fuge. they're nice little units. Now you can get spray bars, fans, lights and a few other things for these tanks. With the growing popularity, they are coming out with some cool mods for everybody's specific needs. :wink:

I'd say stick with inverts if that's your desire. I have a crab and mantis tank that required almost no maintenance.

I'm a big fan of listing the Pro's and Con's in a way that makes it easy to see what the reason for or against something would be. So....

Reasons to get fish.

1. Asthetics
2. Feed the bacteria cycle.

Reasons not to get the fish.
1. Some smaller fishes, such as Wrasses are notorious jumpers.
2. While the waste the excrete does feed the bacteria, it will also put a higher bio load in the tank for the bacteria to bring down. The inverts are much less demanding on the bio-load capabilites and would require signifigantly less bio filtration.
3. Expense verses the instability of smaller tanks. The expense of a 25.00 fish going into a tank that may or may not be able to handle the load can get very expensive not to mention frustrating if it has to be replaced frequently.

My suggestion....put some really cool inverts in the tank and enjoy! :mrgreen:

Just to clarify I love fish! That's the reason for the concern, just don't want them dying or not living a happy life, just because I think they're cute. I think I'll just stick with inverts only in the nano. I wiil have a 100gal soon enough, I can get my fish fix then.
Some smaller fishes, such as Wrasses are notorious jumpers
I have a hood covering the entire top of the tank, but getting these little guys to take an Advil can be difficult at times.
Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom