Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do I need fish?

I have a Nano with all inverts. Should I have a fish of some sort to balance things out? I have plenty of inverts to take care of algae and detritus, but didn't know if the fish helped in some other way, other than asthetics.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
how big is the tank?

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

12 gal. Shrooms, polyps and the usual cleanup crew. Does size matter?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:35 PM   #4

If you could care less about fish then I would say no. A fish would help keep the bacteria colonies stay stable. I think you can also achieve this with inverts so I would say NO you don't need a fish.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

but they are pretty
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 06-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
A fish would help keep the bacteria colonies stay stable.
How would a fish help this?

I do like the fish, but the tank only holds about 9 gal SW and theres about 8lbs LR and all of the critters. Just seems a little cramped to me.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

nah. a cardnial would do well I think.

Fish help complete the "natural cycle." It gives you a fully functional Nano environment.

Old 06-01-2004, 04:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think a little 6 line wrasse would be neat. Also got bait how does the lighting do on your nano with the corals I am thinking about buying one myself.
flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #9

The fish helps by excreting waste ecspecially ammonia. This is what feeds the bacteria, also nitrites do the same. Inverts also produce waste but it is such small amounts it generally dosen't matter. If you don't want a fish don't get one, I think a fishless nano reef is smart thinking, to keep the water at its best.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Also got bait how does the lighting do on your nano with the corals I am thinking about buying one myself.
Wouldn't put any anemone or SPS or clams, just 24W. They are now making retros for the lights now to accommodate some of these corals. Get some fans too.
These tanks come pre-drilled for 60mm fans. I just have shrooms, polyps, ricordias and some macros in there. Not going to upgrade lighting, goin to 100gal soon and I will use the nano as a QT tank or fuge. they're nice little units. Now you can get spray bars, fans, lights and a few other things for these tanks. With the growing popularity, they are coming out with some cool mods for everybody's specific needs.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com