Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

do i need powerheads for lps coral?

Hello i want a reef tank with lps coral the easy and moderate ones. Will i need powerheads and if yes wwhich ones? My tank is 60g

Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes you will need powerheads. You need a chaotic flow to have a breeze of sw running through them. As to which one there are many types out there that work good. Hard to narrow it down to one.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
For LPS coral you will want a total flow of about 1200 gallons per hour or GPH. I personally prefer to do this with multiple smaller powerheads. Perhaps 2 rated for 600-750 GPH. On my tank (90g) I run my run at about 500, 2 koralia 1050 and 1 koralia 1400 which gives me a total of 4000 GPH if they all ran at once. My return is constant and my three powerheads are on a wave maker so they alternate to get a varied flow pattern.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Yes you will need powerheads. You need a chaotic flow to have a breeze of sw running through them. As to which one there are many types out there that work good. Hard to narrow it down to one.
Oh ookay. Will 2 600gph koralia work good? Maybe alternate them every 10 seconds?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
For LPS coral you will want a total flow of about 1200 gallons per hour or GPH. I personally prefer to do this with multiple smaller powerheads. Perhaps 2 rated for 600-750 GPH. On my tank (90g) I run my run at about 500, 2 koralia 1050 and 1 koralia 1400 which gives me a total of 4000 GPH if they all ran at once. My return is constant and my three powerheads are on a wave maker so they alternate to get a varied flow pattern.
Oh okay so u should get 2 or 3 smaller ones like koralia 600gph?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 koralia 600's running full time would be good, if you plan to run a wave maker I would do 3 750's
Old 04-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am no pro by far but I did find The Idiots Guide to Saltwater Corals helpful to know placement and flow for different corals. I starve for info so I can get corals I can care for and not be in over my head. I don't want a death tank.

http://idiotsguides.com/static/quick...oto-guide.html
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

As a general rule for flow you want to follow these guidelines. For FOWLR (fish only) you want at least 10x tank volume in flow, so a 60 gallon would need at least 600 gallons per hour flow. For LPS and softies you want at least 20x tank volume in flow, so for a 60 gallon you would want at least 1200 gallons per hour flow. For SPS you want at least 30x so for a 60 gallon you would want at least 1800 gallons per hour. Keep in mind these are "MINIMUMS" but there can be to much flow or perhaps to direct of flow. You want water to flow everywhere in your tank but you don't want sand flying around and things getting blasted. Personally I have found that placing the powerheads on the back of the tank in each corner and facing them towards the front and slightly off the towards the center to work the best.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
As a general rule for flow you want to follow these guidelines. For FOWLR (fish only) you want at least 10x tank volume in flow, so a 60 gallon would need at least 600 gallons per hour flow. For LPS and softies you want at least 20x tank volume in flow, so for a 60 gallon you would want at least 1200 gallons per hour flow. For SPS you want at least 30x so for a 60 gallon you would want at least 1800 gallons per hour. Keep in mind these are "MINIMUMS" but there can be to much flow or perhaps to direct of flow. You want water to flow everywhere in your tank but you don't want sand flying around and things getting blasted. Personally I have found that placing the powerheads on the back of the tank in each corner and facing them towards the front and slightly off the towards the center to work the best.
I want to thank you for that "General Rule" info. I don't believe I've ever seen it broken down like that and I'm one of those that need the formula or science behind it not just the famous "Because" answer.

Tags
coral, lps, powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com