Do I need to feed my torch coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clr_newbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a torch coral about a month ago. It seems to be doing fine. Its polyps are fully extended all day long, at night it seems to bring them in. I was just wondering if the torch needs to be supplementally fed from time to time. My tank is 30g and I have 2x 65w PCs.

If so, what to feed and how much?

Not needed, but won't hurt it, can be beneficial, but doesn't really need it at all. What it does need to specific lighting to survive properly. It is not a good coral to have near any other types of coral, very aggresive. I had one once, gave it to a friend of mine, hated it, stung me everytime I went in there, hurt really bad. Have you been stung yet?? Oh, I haven't seen it, but I've heard that they will trap and eat small fish.

I have not been stung yet but thanks for the warning!!! I do have it on the bottom of my tank so I hope this meets its lighting needs.

What species of torch is it? some are deeper water and some are 3 to 4 inches below the surface, that is what I meant by specific. If it is the one with the little balls at the end of it tentacles (one of the most common ones) then 4" below the surface will do just fine.

Not sure of the species. It has white tenticales with light green ball like tips. My tank is 17'' deep. Do you think I have it to low in my tank?

No need to target feed your torch coral. It will get what it needs at feeding time.

With PC lights I would move the torch up to mid tank level. They don't require direct feedings but it doesn't hurt to feed.

Back
Top Bottom